Why should I update xp?

naggis 20:40 05 Sep 06

I have windows xp sp2 loaded. Also have NOD32 antivirus, Zonealarm firewall and Ewido antispyware. I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and have had no problems with malware for the last year or so.
In this time I have never downloaded anything from windows update as this seems to give problems.
So - is there something I have missed regarding windows updates? Or have I just been lucky?

ade.h 20:42 05 Sep 06

Because you are certifiable if you don't update an internet-connected PC.

howard63 20:44 05 Sep 06

you have been very lucky - but with the right nasty sorting stuff on board you may well not need the updates. Personally I take them all.

ade.h 20:47 05 Sep 06

If the holes are not patched, the world's best firewall will be like a chocolate teapot and the world's best AV (which you happen to have) can only deal with viruses and - in NOD's case - other malware.

Jackcoms 20:48 05 Sep 06

If you need to ask this sort of question, you shouldn't be using a PC in the first place

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 05 Sep 06

Thousands of PC users never go near windows update and they have no problems; you seem clued up in light of the software you use so why not update the rest.

What problems have you had with windows update?

Stuartli 21:18 05 Sep 06

naggis states that he has never downloaded any Windows updates as he has heard this "seems to give problems."

Not, I would suggest, a wise choice.

VoG II 21:19 05 Sep 06

What problems?

Stuartli 21:19 05 Sep 06

...even just using Firefox and Thunderbird.

ACOLYTE 21:35 05 Sep 06

There is nothing that say you have to download updates of any kind,but it would be silly not to avail yourself of a free resource that could make your pc more safe/stable and problem free.
Choice is yours.

naggis 22:15 05 Sep 06

I really appreciate the variety of responses to this question. It may take a bit of time to analyse and think it all through. Thanks to everyone who has contributed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac