Why should I update xp?

naggis 20:40 05 Sep 06

I have windows xp sp2 loaded. Also have NOD32 antivirus, Zonealarm firewall and Ewido antispyware. I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird and have had no problems with malware for the last year or so.
In this time I have never downloaded anything from windows update as this seems to give problems.
So - is there something I have missed regarding windows updates? Or have I just been lucky?

ade.h 20:42 05 Sep 06

Because you are certifiable if you don't update an internet-connected PC.

howard63 20:44 05 Sep 06

you have been very lucky - but with the right nasty sorting stuff on board you may well not need the updates. Personally I take them all.

ade.h 20:47 05 Sep 06

If the holes are not patched, the world's best firewall will be like a chocolate teapot and the world's best AV (which you happen to have) can only deal with viruses and - in NOD's case - other malware.

Jackcoms 20:48 05 Sep 06

If you need to ask this sort of question, you shouldn't be using a PC in the first place

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 05 Sep 06

Thousands of PC users never go near windows update and they have no problems; you seem clued up in light of the software you use so why not update the rest.

What problems have you had with windows update?

Stuartli 21:18 05 Sep 06

naggis states that he has never downloaded any Windows updates as he has heard this "seems to give problems."

Not, I would suggest, a wise choice.

VoG II 21:19 05 Sep 06

What problems?

Stuartli 21:19 05 Sep 06

...even just using Firefox and Thunderbird.

ACOLYTE 21:35 05 Sep 06

There is nothing that say you have to download updates of any kind,but it would be silly not to avail yourself of a free resource that could make your pc more safe/stable and problem free.
Choice is yours.

naggis 22:15 05 Sep 06

I really appreciate the variety of responses to this question. It may take a bit of time to analyse and think it all through. Thanks to everyone who has contributed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…