why is the pc so laggy?

xalemo 22:36 25 Feb 03

Hi all!
I have P4 1.3Ghz on a MSI6339 v 1.4. 640Mb RdRam, geforce 2 MX200 v41.09, DX 8.1b, Win2K Pro SP3, WDC 60G (5400rpm)partitionned in 20+40. SB PCI128 with manuf's drivers, [email protected] Karspesky pro & ZA Pro.
I have just re-installed Win seems my machine was getting slow, like hanging on simple op, slow redraw, appl crashing a lot... That was last sunday and it's as if I hadn't done anything, still slow!
I ran Sandra and enabled smart in cmos settings, virus warning in there as well. Ran HDTach, everything fine. Scandisk, defrag often, ran a utilty from western digital and still fine but still laggy!
What do you reckon?
thanks!

xalemo 22:37 25 Feb 03

PS: I always keep the registry tidy!

AMD 4 ever 22:40 25 Feb 03

The trouble is without sounding rude...you seem to apply a lot of different theories, but don't seem to let them play for long enough without trying another solution.
Sometimes it is not always a good idea to clean out the registry...they are fine left alone...prob only time to dip into it is when necessary.
I would say the bottleneck is your Graphics card, and CPU...although the early RD Ram did have cause for concern...I would try MS for all updates and try a fresh re-install with jus the updates no tinkering.

AMD 4 ever 22:42 25 Feb 03

So in short what i was trying to say was, try one idea and test it all out, then if it still doesn't improve the situation then try another, but not just straight after eachother with out giving them a chance!

xalemo 22:58 25 Feb 03

I see your point AMD 4 ever and thanks for your prompt post.
My GFX card is bit old... the pc is about 2 years old but with a new mobo.
What I meant I don't think it's a virus,OS just installed, I tested the hdd...I tried a few things and this has been going on for a little while now.I have tried to optimize the more I could and was beginning to think the mobo might tired or something like that.

AMD 4 ever 23:02 25 Feb 03

No problem.
Do you knwo the rating of your PSU?
You could try changing the CAS timing in the BIOS of your RAM(ONLY Do this if you have GOOD Branded RAM!!)

Also if you want not saying it will help, but I have seen it remedy som problems before...you could try and ncrease the Voltage supply a little...give a bit more juice..These are little tips but if you are unsure atall about the BIOS...best to leave alone.Any experimentation with tweaks and speed must be adhered to a good cooling regime too.

xalemo 23:17 25 Feb 03

PSU is 400 I think, came with a lianli case.
I found this click here and thought I should share.They had already good reviews and seem to have a few handy articles too, have a look!
Thanks for your answers.
see you

xalemo 18:10 26 Feb 03

I have to add.... My cd rewriter drive is going loopy, does not recognize some cds it used to.
I don't really want to play with ram in bios since this used to be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac