Why partition a hard disk and how do you use it?

johnatjgr 23:24 09 Oct 08

I realise I can partition my hard disk but I'm not sure how I can benefit from doing so or how to make the best use of any partition?
Please can someone explain ?
Thanks

Sea Urchin 23:48 09 Oct 08

Any help?

click here

johnatjgr 12:49 10 Oct 08

Thanks Sea Urchin - very informative.

David4637 13:10 10 Oct 08

Partition it, OS on C: , data on D:
Back up the OS using Acronis, and if and when the OS crashes you restore using the Acronis image in ten minutes. You can backup to external HD, or save the image to the D: partition and burn to ONE DVD (I do this for XP).
Its one of the best insurances you can buy. David

johnatjgr 22:54 10 Oct 08

Thanks David
I do have Acronis but haven't really made proper use of it yet. I'll give it a go now.
Regards. John

David4637 15:15 12 Oct 08

John - I know you will have to take a risk, but when you have a back up image of the C: using Acronis, you must restore the image even though there is no need to, to give you 100% confidence it will work in a real emergency situation. Thats what I did, its nerve racking while its restoring, but you have to through this process.
David

Batch 17:38 12 Oct 08

If you are really worried about testing out an image by restoring it, buy another hard disk (you can get an 80GB one for around £20) and restore to that and try booting from it.

If you partition as previously discussed and keep your system drive (e.g. C: ) pretty lean, it shoudl easily fit into 80GB.

johnatjgr 09:01 13 Oct 08

Many thanks everyone - here goes !

David4637 15:06 13 Oct 08

My OS - XP will fit on one DVD when Acronis is used, let alone an 80GB drive, ie less than 4.7 GB. David

Batch 15:04 14 Oct 08

Yeah! well mine will fit onto a 2GB pen-drive.

So yah-boo-sux.

;)

David4637 16:37 14 Oct 08

All the best to you. David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…