Why only in safe mode

Hacky 17:25 12 Oct 03

Hi all
can anyone tell me why i can only scandisk and defrag in safe mode,running win98se, cheers

Gongoozler 17:36 12 Oct 03

Hi Hacky. Defrag often only works in safe mode if you have a progrm running in the background that keeps changing the contents of the hard drive. The defrag program in Windows 98 is not very good, and a third party defrag such as Diskeeper Lite from Executive Software is MUCH better. click here

Hacky 17:40 12 Oct 03

Hi Gongoozler
Thanks for the info used to have diskeeper lite problem on arose when i deleted it, thinking about restoreing it

richierich 17:42 12 Oct 03

would you recomend diskeeper lite for win 2000, i did start it but cancelled it as it didnt seem to be doing anything, maybe i didnt leave it long enough though.

Hacky 17:50 12 Oct 03

Hi RICHIERICH
don't know much about diskeeper lets hope Gongoozler can fill us in on some details

Sparks 18:51 12 Oct 03

You could download the winME defrag tool it's free and it works with win98se,check it out at click here

Gongoozler 19:42 12 Oct 03

I can't comment on Diskeeper Lite for Windows 2000, and I think the defrag in XP is very good already, but for Windows 98 the improvement is dramatic. No longer do I have to wait hours for a defrag, the whole job is done in minutes.

Hacky 19:48 12 Oct 03

Thanks Goongoozler
your imput is appreciated,thanks

Gongoozler 19:56 12 Oct 03

The only downside to DK Lite is that every time you start it you get asked if you want to upgrade to the full paid for version, but that's a very small price to pay for quick trouble free defragging.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…