why, oh why, oh why?????????

the old man 14:51 05 Feb 05

Q. What do the following have in common, freecell, hearts, shutdown, I.E, TW2005, AVG7, Adaware, openoffice.org.
A. My system locks up on whatever of the above and many others I am using.
Can someone give me some ideas?
Since about 1 o'clock this afternoon it has locked up about a dozen times and I have been trying to run various applications to see if any thing came up, either virus, spyware and the like.
will come back in about 30 mins to read replies.

igk 14:57 05 Feb 05

Hello, Try to do your Antivirus,spyware checks in "safe" mode,just reboot or start computer and straight away keep hitting the F8 key until you see a screen with options select safe mode.Hope this helps.

AndySD 14:58 05 Feb 05

Try booting into Safe mode (tap away at F8 whilst booting the pc) and try running adaware and your antivirus there.

igk 15:05 05 Feb 05

AndySD, I'm glad you said F8, I think I'm about to have an argument with someone who maintains its F5!!!!!

ACOLYTE 15:07 05 Feb 05

i think it can be F8 or F5 i know on my other pc pressing F8 brings up the bootmenu from the bios,so i have to use F5 on that machine.

mattyc_92 15:22 05 Feb 05

As I recall Windows Version 3.1 used to be F5, but since that version, it seems to be F8 as default...

the old man 16:45 05 Feb 05

Been in safe mode since 15.00pm and have done all checks with av and spyware, system got all clear. logged back on at 16.30 and came straight to P/A. Feel as if the system is just waiting to go "gotcha" and will lock out. this problem has been going on for a while, not only with my login but also son and daughters when they use computer, but this dinner time was the worst and most frequently.

AndySD 16:54 05 Feb 05

Windows XP ?

If so click here

john-232317 16:56 05 Feb 05

Read here...

click here

the old man 17:19 05 Feb 05

andy - thanks for limk just done as advised and will monitor.
dadyassa - had already posted apology on link and will remember in future. just attention seeking for my problem but will abide by rules in future.

john-232317 17:30 05 Feb 05

Nice one, but as FE says it does help peeps with future problems through the search thingy ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…