Why not two ram?

Josquius 15:02 29 Oct 06

I wonder if anyone could answer this-
Why is it you can't have two differnet kinds of RAM in your computer?
Why does it matter that you must have two 512s and not a 512 and a 256?
It seemed to work fine for me when I did do that once.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:05 29 Oct 06

You can have any size RAM (within your motherboards guidelines)next to each other. You could have a 128 and a 512 or whatever. You do NOT have to have 2 x 512 or 2 x 128

G

bremner 15:09 29 Oct 06

You can even have RAM of different speeds, it just they will jointly work at the slowest speed.

Jak_1 15:10 29 Oct 06

GANDALF <|:-)> is right, I have a 512 and a 1 gig next to each other working just fine.

sean-278262 15:28 29 Oct 06

However you may find that using a mismatched pair is not as fast as 2 of the same spec. I had a 1gb and 256 stick in my laptop and the machine was slower with more ram.

Totally-braindead 15:47 29 Oct 06

Agree with all the others have said, only exception to this would be if your pc was using dual channel memory in this case the memory would be better to be identical, they would definatly have to be the same size.

Josquius 18:11 01 Nov 06

Oh...Weird. I was told they didn't work at all.

So they JOINTLY work at the slowest speed- they do work seperatly a lot though right?
So it would it be better to keep my 256 and add a 512 or just replace it with a 512?

sean-278262 18:14 01 Nov 06

The best way to tell is like I said try adding 512 on its own and then test it. Add the 512 and the 256 and if it is faster then its worked fine for you. My computer wont accept 256 and a 1gb stick and run as fast as it does with just 1gb. Trial and error still prevails these days in the computer world Im affraid.

Legolas 18:22 01 Nov 06

Memory is one of the most fickle components in a PC and as already stated Memory of different sizes will work side by side and also different speeds but I recommend to get the best from your PC always use good quality memory and if more than one stick of memory is used they ideally should be identical. PC,s I have built/upgraded in the past have suffered because I didn't realise the importance of the memory module.

octal 18:48 01 Nov 06

I've just recently added a 512 stick from PC world, (I think), plus a 256 stick of unknown heritage and it works just fine with 769M.

ed-0 19:07 01 Nov 06

" I wonder if anyone could answer this-
Why is it you can't have two differnet kinds of RAM in your computer?"

Two other reasons are:-

The motherboard contains different types of memory slots. Old boards can have slots for sdram and ddr ram. Newer motherboards can have slots for ddr ram and ddr11 ram. You can not mix either.

The other consideration is the density of the ram. Some motherboards will take low or high density memory. few motherboards will take a mixture of 64bit and 128bit.

make and model of the motherboard may throw up some light.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac