Why not have a linux section in the forum

Linus Tourvald 10:28 08 Sep 03

I think it would be a great idea to have a small part of the forum dedicated to linux. I know there are dedicated linux forums out there but to be frank, i have visited other computer related forums and none even come close to this one. This forum is by far the best, friendliest and easy to use one on the net. (not sucking up just telling the truth!! ha ha )

So i think a small section dedicated to linux where users can get the help they need to learn the linux os and still stay in everyones favourite forum!!!

What do you all think especially FE?

-pops- 11:05 08 Sep 03

I think the popularity of Linux would need to be vastly expanded before it became a viable subject for its own section here.

Taran 11:13 08 Sep 03

There are a lot of Linux forums and sites already out there and trying to compete with any of them is beyond the scope of this site and its members.

No disrespect intended to anyone who regularly visits this site.

Many of us use Linux in one form or another, either for serious, educational or general experimental purposes. I use it daily in corporate and academic situations, but like most other people who frequent this and similar sites, available time for most of us is limited and I don't think that the Linux userbase who also visit this site is large enough to warrant its own section.

Running the PCA site is a complex and expensive affair, and adding to that resource drain is only done through careful consideration which would include the likelihood of volumes of traffic and so on, among many other factors.

Feel free to ask for Linux help in the Helproom, and you will get it more often than not. Dividing the Helproom into subcategories though, would only be done if the level of use demanded it and Linux is still very much in the minority, despite the high opinion many of us hold it in.

There have been suggestions in the past of dividing the Helproom into hardware and software subsections, but it seems to work just fine as it is.

Time will tell of course.

Best regards

Taran

powerless 02:14 09 Sep 03
  Djohn 02:17 09 Sep 03

:o)

Linus Tourvald, ten out of ten for trying! :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…