Why? Network stops every 15 Mins

Chegs ®™ 23:06 18 Nov 05

I setup a couple of laptops to access the net thru my desktop(not both together)and last week they could connect up and stay connected for hours.Yesterday,the Wireless connections on either laptop started disconnecting every 15-20 mins,and this continued today regardless of how I tweaked the settings or software(I use CCPROXY to share my 2Mb connection)on the Ralink card in my desktop,the various settings in CCPROXY or the IP addresses.I even restored my desktop from an image created when all was well,reinstalled from another image then reinstalled the Ralink card driver,CCPROXY(several versions from 5+ to 6+)but still,every 15-20 mins the icon denoting my Ralink card starts looking for an IP address.I tried setting its IP manually,but this causes my USB Modem to lose its connection,so I thought it might be an IP conflict,yet no matter what IP I assign to the Ralink,it kills the modem connection.I have to leave this as "Automatically assigned"

Help,before I lose the will to live. :-)

Chegs ®™ 00:33 19 Nov 05

Seem to have resolved it.Went thru Add/Remove and found a listing for "SP-2 Connection Manager" Don't know where this particular app came from,or when either but removing it has resulted in my 98se laptops connection remaining live for the last half-hour.I will leave the thread open until the other laptop is fired up tomorrow(XP Home)when its owner returns from work.

Chegs ®™ 19:41 19 Nov 05

Definitely "SP-2 Connection Manager" causing the repeated disconnections.The 2nd laptop was able to stay online for 5 hours without once getting a dropped connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…