Why is my wireless signal so low - going insane

mikeJS 11:28 16 Sep 06

Im a simple person who thought that it would be easy to set up wireless broadband - allow teh kids to use main PC at same time as Im using my laptop in peace in someother room.

Ive got a Bt Voyager 2091 router which works fine with the PC (using USB connector) and a Belkin wireless network card on my laptop. I dont use the ethernet cable - presume dont need to.

Everything was set up by instructions followed fine - but the signal from my laptop is always no better than 'low' unless Im in the same room as the router - its low even when Im in the next room !!

What am I doing wrong ?? The router channel is 6 and Ive played about with this with no effect (I presume if I change the channel I dont need to reboot laptop etc).

Am I missing a trick somewhere ?? Help for a simple user please

ArrGee 13:11 16 Sep 06

It could be the physical positioning of the router. If it's close to ground level, the signal will drop.

mikeJS 13:23 16 Sep 06

The router is simply on a desk - so really should be ok. As i said Im only in the next room on laptop.

Strawballs 22:23 16 Sep 06

Is it near other devices that emit radio signal ie cordless phone base.

mikeJS 10:23 17 Sep 06

No. The broadband link is through a long extension lead as the phone socket is in the next room - would that be affecting it.

Superstylin 13:20 17 Sep 06

the long extension lead would affect the internet connection but not the wireless capability. even without internet connection you can still have wireless connection, they are two seperate things.

do you live in a relatively new house with thinner walls than say an old stone cottage??

irishrapter 15:19 17 Sep 06

Move the wireless router to another room and see what signal level you get there.

Forget plugging it into the phone socket for now, you will still be able to connect to the router and see the signal strengh but will not have any internet access of course.

Try it in a few rooms and see what happens.
As stated above it could just be the placing of the router.

Strawballs 22:57 19 Sep 06

Are you using the software that came with the Belkin card if so uninstall the software (utility) and just leave the drivers and let windows manage the wireless. You can get a conflict between 3rd party utilities and windows.

mikeJS 19:44 20 Sep 06

Thanks for tips - will try at weekend (laptop in office till then). Thx

josie mayhem 20:19 22 Sep 06

I have the voyager 2091 and a bilkin card for my laptop and by the sound of it a similar set up to you, using the laptop in another room to the router.

The advice not do use Belkin software, but let xp take care of it, is the best way....

Signal strengh is dependant to where I'm using the laptop, if on the dining room table, I find even though I'm physicaly nearer to the router, signal is low this is due to my very lovely 5ft tropical fish tank, move over the other side of the room and further away from the fish tank and the signal gets very much stronger!

I also have the router ran off a extention lead, but I must admit that actually using the laptop either at the table or sat on the sofer, even with different signal strengh I don't notice any difference while actually using the computer...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…