Why is my PC crashing

golfpro 16:05 30 Jul 05

My Norton AV is programed to check for AV on Sat. at this time, It started OK but half way through my PC just crashed, the mouse would not work, nothing, I had to shut down using the on/off button on the PC.

I was radio streaming at the time, and now my PC cooling fan is working overtime, could this be the fault. OK its 30c here at the moment but it has been warmer.

Any help or sugestions welcome.

ade.h 16:47 30 Jul 05

I suspect that you answered your own question; radio streaming means quite large amounts of almost continuous data, and it's not impossible for other heavy activity to get in the way of an intensive scan. Try not to open files or run programs while the AV scans and it can work more efficiently.

ade.h 16:49 30 Jul 05

Oh, and it is Norton after all. Maybe lose it and use Avast instead. click here. Norton is not necessarily the most stable AV scanner, judging by my own past experience.

golfpro 17:21 30 Jul 05

I've just tried running Noton again on its own, no other programs running in the background, and it still crashed.

Funny, I have just renewed my Norton contract for another year and this is the first AV check.

ade.h 22:24 30 Jul 05

That's a pity; you could have opted for a better product without handing over any hard-earned.

Your next step is to check the Symantec knowledgebase. It doesn't get around to mentioning every Norton issue that has ever occurred but there might well be an answer in there somewhere. That's assuming that what you're experiencing has a specific and known cause.

golfpro 06:26 31 Jul 05

Thank you, I will try various things to see if I can pin down the cause of the hang up including a word with Norton suport (if they answer that is!!!), If it keeps happening though I will put it down to experience and make a change to something else.

ade.h 17:26 31 Jul 05

Don't waste time and money on Symantec phone support until the knowledgebase has been exhausted. The general consensus is that the email support isn't necessarily going to elicit a response either!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…