Why is my memory like this

Legolas 17:59 17 Oct 03

I have a faulty 256Mb stick of memory which causes my main computer to crash. I bought a second hand Tomato m/b from ebay a while ago for a basic second computer running a slot1 Pentium processor. I tried the faulty memory stick in it and although it only runs at 128Mb it runs with no problems.

I decided to upgrade the tomato m/b and purchased a new m/b from ebuyer, installed the faulty memory stick and fired it up, away it went with no problems...until I tried to install win XP and it repeatedly threw up errors. I spent a long time trying to work out what was wrong till I suddenly remembered the memory stick had been faulty so I swopped it with a good stick and away it went...so why is my memory like this.

Rayuk 18:01 17 Oct 03

Because its faulty,end of story

Lionheart ♥ 18:10 17 Oct 03

....so why is my memory like this.

Age got anything to do with it :)

plankton 18:13 17 Oct 03

Or it could just be the wrong type of memory for the boards it doesnt work on???

Legolas 18:15 17 Oct 03

Age has certainly a part to play ;-) The thing I find strange Rayuk is the fact that it works ok in one m/b but not another.

Legolas 18:16 17 Oct 03

It worked in one of the m/b,s for months before it went faulty but then continued to work on another m/b strange.

Lionheart ♥ 18:18 17 Oct 03

Sorry could not resist the quip.

Legolas 18:23 17 Oct 03

No problem Lionheart ♥ I am of a like mind.

I started this thread really just for some discussion on the matter I don't really expect to get a definitive answer I hope that's allowed lol

plankton 11:57 18 Oct 03

It might be that when its only using 128Mb, it doesnt access the faulty chip?

Legolas 12:57 18 Oct 03

As I said this was for discussion and I did,nt expect a clear cut answer but thanks for all those who participated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…