Why is my internet slow at night ?

rimp 23:59 07 Jul 08

Sometimes I can't sleep and so I have a brouse to pass the time, and the web seems a lot slower around midnight, can you enlighten me why this is ?
Thanks

jimmybond 00:42 08 Jul 08

little known fact, but this is known as the "Petro effect", whereby the 13 root servers at the heart of the internet, used to direct traffic - are each allocated a secret data package which is then passed between themselves and another 'validating server' - the purpose being to prevent hackers from accessing key areas of the net. This process, which happens at precisely 12am each night (although nobody is sure of precise timings, for security reasons) - is known to filter through a 'lag effect' across the rest of the net, resulting in slower web access for end users around midnight.
hope this helps.

MCE2K5 00:58 08 Jul 08

Or it could be that all Americans have done their Work Shifts and switched on their Computers.

DieSse 01:17 08 Jul 08

"Petro effect" - are you sure about that - can you give a reference to it?

"This process, which happens at precisely 12am each night"

12am where exactly?

There are 13 root name servers - but several of them have multiple sites around the world. Server J (Verisign) for instance, has 41 sites scattered all over the world.

What they do - for the non-techs click here

Note the section "Some Common Misconceptions" particularly.

ambra4 01:31 08 Jul 08

At midnight UK time is 7PM US eastern coast time 4PM US west coast time 8AM Asian time when

most people is either getting home or getting to work so the internet tends to slow down

ronalddonald 07:11 08 Jul 08

all to do with country and time. When were asleep other countries wake up and use the net and that can slow it down.

Have you tried mobile boradband by 3 click here

you would get a better deal and which isp service are you using, i moved rom aol because of problems

kalignorgna 12:42 08 Jul 08

this is because a lot of gamers play late in to the early hours of morning and by a lot i MEAN millons of people here and abrod

Stuartli 14:59 08 Jul 08

>>This process, which happens at precisely 12am each night (although nobody is sure of precise timings, for security reasons) >>

So precisely how are you so sure?

It's usually also referred to as 12 midnight or 12 midday to avoid confusion.

rimp 23:35 09 Jul 08

Thanks everyone, my mind is eased. As I browse on my old computer downstairs, I thought I might have a problem. As a matter of interest, this also happens around teatime (UK) when the kids go back to school after the hols, I presume it's homework time !.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac