Why is my drive not clear after a format?

Shortstop 12:17 02 Dec 05

Hi,

I have an 80GB slave that had 750Mb of invisible files.

I have moved all my files over to the C drive and formatted the slave - but it is still showing 70,152,192 bytes [70Mb?] of used space.

Not too worried about this, but why isn't the drive completely empty? This was a master drive about 2 years ago, if that helps.

Thanks,

Paul

Muzz_former_aol_employee 12:22 02 Dec 05

Where did you get your PC from? Some companies such as HP, Dell, Tiny etc take a small part of the hard drive and make a recovery partition.

This recovery partitin contains enough space to copy the temp files off recovery cds that come with prebuilt systems.

Maybe thats what that space is. You can delete it and make it into 1 big partition if you like its not protected.

Shortstop 13:04 02 Dec 05

I can't remember where this slave drive came from originally, but I cannot see any partition - and surely 70 MB is too small for a restore?

Regards,

Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:13 02 Dec 05

Use something like Partition Magic or Ranish click here to have a look at the partitions on the drive.

€dstowe 13:13 02 Dec 05

The code used as the format takes up some disk space.

If you want to clear the drive completely you need to use the drive manufacturers utility to "restore to factory condition" or "low level format".

Look on the drive manufacturers website for the software and details of how to do it.

This may help click here

Shortstop 13:17 02 Dec 05

Fruitbat - have tried Partition Magic; will have a look at Ranish

€dstowe - Will hunt for the restore utility as well.

Ticked as resolved

Regards,

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…