Why is my broadband connection dropping out

wobblymike 21:22 13 Nov 05

I am on BT broadband with a 2MB connection which has worked fine since installation some 6 months ago. Over the last few days it has started dropping out after about 4 or 5 mins of being connected. I have ascertained that the DSL light on the modem (which is normally on solid) goes out thus causing the connection to fail the light flashes a bit then comes back on steady at which point I can connect for another 5 mins or so before it happens again. I have changed nothing on my system, I have not added anything in either. I have tried plugging the modem direct into the PC rather than through a hub, have disconnected the phone from the line no joy. Any ideas welcome.

keewaa 21:30 13 Nov 05

Disconnect the modem from the PC, watch the modem, if it still does this it is not related to your PC .... do you have microfilters in every phone / sky box / fax in the house. An alarms connected to the phone, any home made extensions / cords / loose phone plugs?

wobblymike 21:34 13 Nov 05

keewaa
Thanks I can't unplug the modem it is not a powered modem it runs from the USB connection. The set up in the house has worked fine for 6 months and as it has not been touched let alone changed I don't see how that can have any bearing.

Graham ® 08:50 14 Nov 05

Dial 151 and ask the agent to test your line. Listen carefully, they may be in Mumbai.

keewaa 09:38 14 Nov 05

Even though you can't disconnect it, I think I'm correct in saying that the DSL light is independent of the computer as it indicates the supply of dsl, and hence the problem is not the computer. But someone more knowledgable would need to confirm that.

jbaker65 09:59 14 Nov 05

I had a similar problem which I reported to my ISP. They chased BT for a few days until they sorted it out. The problem was at the exchange end. Incidentally, my ISP (V21) phoned me every day to keep me in the picture until it was sorted.

interzone55 10:03 14 Nov 05

How far are you from your exchange?

It may be that you are at the limit of a 2Mb connection, therefore if the line quality has degraded it is now so poor that your modem cannot sustain a connection.

wee eddie 10:31 14 Nov 05

Has anyone, in the household, asked for 1571 to be enabled in the last few days.

Your mentioning of plugging direct into your PC suggests a Wireless setup. Have you any other wireless equipment in the house or has someone bought a new, DECT Phone, TV or Microwave?

ACOLYTE 10:38 14 Nov 05

I had the same problem some time ago it turned out that one of the filters on another phone was iffy,once i replaced this it was sorted,have you checked all the filters?.Try unplugging all the phones you have connected and just use the modem for a while see what happens, then connect them back 1 at a time and see if it disconects,if it does you found the iffy filter.

wobblymike 07:36 16 Nov 05

Guys the problem was the modem itself thanks for your assistance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…