why is my 256 RAM actually 192?!

powertool 22:47 07 Feb 05

When I bought my pavilion ze4258, I understood that it had 256 ram, but when I just looked under My Computer, it says I only have 192?! Where have the other 64 gone?

On a laptop, is one stuck with the ram spec? is it possible to upgrade?

thanks,as always for any help you can give.

VoG II 22:50 07 Feb 05

64 MB used for on-board graphics?

VoG II 22:53 07 Feb 05

Tou should be able to upgrafde check click here and click here

HXP 02:22 08 Feb 05

Are you looking in control panel > system then general tab ?

Mine reports fitted ram correctly.

If you are familiar you could go into the bios ( just make sure you exit without saving) and see what is recorded there.

Also & strangely if you go into word help and about then system info your system spec is recorded there.
This measures a gig of ram as 1024 mb ( which is correct ) system shows it as 1 gb which is correct also.

powertool 18:27 08 Feb 05

Thanks for your help - interestingly the control panel > system then general tab option shows 192, but the Word route shows 256.

Perhaps as VoG says, 64 is being used as a sort of graphics card.

Either way - time to upgrade I guess. Thanks for the links.

Best wishes

EdFrench 18:40 08 Feb 05

A lot of integrated graphics chips do this. You can check it out in the bios > integrated peripherals or some such. It will list what the chipset 'steals from the system ram. You should also be able to reduce or increase it. 8 meg is usually minimum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…