Why is it so hard to obtain Microsoft support?

Yimbo 12:46 26 Aug 14
Answered

I have been trying to have a problem fixed with MS Outlook 2010 - unable to open links in emails due to "General failure" message. Some of you will be fed up with me going on about this (see my other post 3 days ago). I've tried everything I know, and all the advice I've been offered - but to no avail. In desperation, I phoned MS UK office this morning, and I was given a web address for MS Support, where, for £65, someone would help me resolve this issue. OK, so calling up the web page, I'm asked to "sign up" to a MS account. Fine, I did that! But to complete this procedure, I was sent an email asking me to verify my email address. But clicking on the link to do that, lands me back with the very problem I need fixed - "General failure ...!" So, no MS account - no support! Could anything be more frustrating?

Yimbo 13:26 26 Aug 14

Jock1e - - Yes, I've run both Malwarebytes and Zone Alarm scans - and nothing untoward came up.

I've also tried just about every help offered via Google and the like. "It's an IE fault!" - "It's an "Outlook fault!". I've checked and re-checked, but got nowhere!

I'm just really, really stumped!

Secret-Squirrel 13:34 26 Aug 14

"....to complete this procedure, I was sent an email asking me to verify my email address."

Virtually all email providers have a webmail facility (where you can manage your messages via a web page) so use that instead of your faulty MS Outlook.

lotvic 13:35 26 Aug 14

copy the verification link in the email and paste it into the address bar of your Browser, press 'Enter' on keyboard.

Having had a (very) quick look at your other threads,

You have problem installing programs and shortcut links to urls won't work.

I'm thinking you have a permissions problem in Windows 8.1 and in your security program, antivirus and firewall. Do you have an account with Admin privileges?

Yimbo 15:14 26 Aug 14

Thanks folks for your help and advice! It's much appreciated! Not sure quite how to pursue your suggestion, Secret-Squirrel. How can I get to the facility you mention?

Lotvic, I'm not able to copy and paste the verification link. Outlook won't let it happen!

Jock1e - Yes, I've done the security switch off\on procedures.

What would happen to all my stored emails and addresses were I to try uninstalling\ reinstalling MS Outlook 2010? Would it all be lost?

Secret-Squirrel 15:56 26 Aug 14

"Not sure quite how to pursue your suggestion, Secret-Squirrel. How can I get to the facility you mention?"

Hopefully I'll be able to tell you so let me know who your email provider is (the bit of your email address after the @ symbol).

Yimbo 16:25 26 Aug 14

Secret-Squirrel - - It's "supanet.com"

Secret-Squirrel 16:53 26 Aug 14

Thanks Yimbo.

Click here to go to supanet.com then click on the "webmail" link top-right and login with your details. I see that it asks for a "username" which may be the first part of your email address (the bit before the @ symbol). If it doesn't work then try your whole address.

However, depending on your Outlook settings there may be no messages there as Outlook may have removed them from the Supanet server after it downloaded them.

Woolwell 19:04 26 Aug 14

I'm puzzled by most of these problems as previous threads will show. However you should be able to copy and paste links. Try right clicking on the link and then select copy copy hyperlink. Then in IE on the address bar use Ctrl-V to paste it.

Yimbo 23:21 26 Aug 14

Thanks, Secret-Squirrel - - I got through to web-mail, but there were no messages in the inbox. I'll try later and see if any appear, and get to them before Outlook downloads them.

Woolwell - - I tried copying the hyperlink, and pasting it into Google. It worked, but unfortunately the Microsoft email asking me to respond does not give a hyperlink with a web-address. It only has a box: "Verify your email address", which, of course I can't do without triggering the "General failure" message!

Nil desperandum - - I'll keep at it! Something's surely got to yield the solution!

Thank you, again!

lotvic 00:06 27 Aug 14

"Verify your email address" that IS the hyperlink, rightclick on that and choose copy, then paste into Browser address bar and press 'Enter' on keyboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…