Why is it quicker to use AOL dialup than NTL BB?

pj123 16:30 26 Jan 03

I have just been connected to NTL broadband at 600k but I am finding that my AOL dialup is far quicker and less prone to crashes than NTL BB??

I am now having second thoughts about broadband. especially as it takes at least 27 minutes to get through to the bb helpdesk and then they don't know the answer>
their latest response is that no one will be available to answer questions until after 0900 tomorrow morning Monday 27/01.

Confab 16:41 26 Jan 03

Well your 600k BB should be noticeably quicker than your dial-up connection. It can't be too much trouble to wait until tomorrow can it? It's probably in NTL maintenance issue which will be resolved in a day or two. I find with My BB provider that it will periodically do some work which affects my connection speed or my ability to pick up mails - It's very annoying, I know, but it seems to be par for the course.

Amber

pj123 17:19 26 Jan 03

Thanks for your response.

I am quite prepared to wait until tommorrow.

I am prepared to give it a months trial, as I have to give my dialup ISP a months notice to cancel.

But at the moment my dialup seems to be much faster and with less crashes and errors.

Diemmess 17:41 26 Jan 03

A plug for Aol, I use it happily but so far have no chance of Broadband. ......... Aol are pushing various offers for those who can connect, and I assume that you have previously used Aol.

Yes Yes - I know there is a savage tribe out there which will have none of it, but speak as you find, I have even have friends and family (a few) who feel like me about a service which is robust and fair, but just different from the pile!

The Phantom Menace 18:07 26 Jan 03

pj123
i don't think a BB connection can cause your PC to crash. you must have a hardware/software/conflict problem with your PC, it could be your AOL connection conflicting with your NTL connection. are you sure you have disabled your dial-up when you are using you BB connection?

Andsome 18:16 26 Jan 03

Your dial up account in Tools/Accounts, should have been removed. I also had conflicts until I removed it.

jazzypop 18:16 26 Jan 03

Uninstall AOL completely, then reinstall NTL - or better, install it manually. click here - this guy really knows his cable broadband.

Legolas 19:47 26 Jan 03

pj123 Is the NTL BB contract not for 12 months If you cancel do you not have to pay for the year IU had NTL BB and I know when I cancelled a couple of months early I had to pay anyway. Has it changed?

Legolas 19:47 26 Jan 03

pj123 Is the NTL BB contract not for 12 months If you cancel do you not have to pay for the year I had NTL BB and I know when I cancelled a couple of months early I had to pay anyway. Has it changed?

Legolas 19:48 26 Jan 03

Sorry for the double post

graham 20:08 26 Jan 03

and just signed up for their b/b. I have two seven days cooling off periods, once after signing up and once after receiving the kit. Don't know if this applies after it's up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…