Why I can't open a link ?

Antonio Machado 23:03 05 Jul 10

Hello experts !

I work with Windows XP pack 3 and I am having problems when I make "click" on a link: instead of opening a new window just like my p.c. always does, it does appear a tiny yellow and red color star with an exclamation mark at the center and it does not open the link.

What can I do ?

Thanks in advance, all the best,

Antonio.

birdface 08:02 06 Jul 10

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter.
It should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot computer and see if it makes any difference.

birdface 08:09 06 Jul 10

Have you tried running any of your security programs.
Maybe try Malwarebytes free if ipconfig /flushdns does not work.

click here

Antonio Machado 09:52 06 Jul 10

Hello buteman !

Thanks a lot for making time to help me.

You tell me "ipconfig /flushdns then press enter". What is that ? is something I should type somewhere ? or is it a program I might find in my P.C. ? I don't know about computers, please explain me slowly and step by step, I would like to follow your suggestion but I have no idea what you are talking about.

Looking forward to your comments. All the best,
Antonio.

Graphicool1 10:14 06 Jul 10

I thought I would spell out the instructions given by Buteman.
Click on the 'Start' button (bottom left)
Click on 'Run'
At the prompt, type or preferably 'Cut & Paste'

ipconfig /flushdns

If you do decide to type it in, please pay attention to the space between the 'g' and '/'

Now click on 'OK' or 'Enter'

Hope this helps

birdface 10:15 06 Jul 10

Try all programs.Accessories .Command prompt.
A black screen will open just type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter on the keyboard.
It should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so exit and reboot computer to see if it runs any better.
When typing ipconfig /flushdns make sure there is a small space between ipconfig and the forward slash or it will not work.

birdface 10:27 06 Jul 10

Thanks Graphicool1 for the help.
I was just about to go out and thought that I would have one more look.
Not sure if it will work or not but as he has had the thread open since yesterday with no response I thought that I give him that to try until someone else came along to help.
I suppose it would be a good idea to run C Cleaner but not at all sure if he could do it properly and as I don't use it anymore not 100% sure of what to advise.

Antonio Machado 10:34 06 Jul 10

Hello Buteman and Graphicool1:

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try that suggestion.

All the best, Antonio.

Graphicool1 11:59 06 Jul 10

If what has already been suggested doesn't work, try this...

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

Sea Urchin 12:07 06 Jul 10

Where are these links you are clicking? Are they on websites, or maybe in emails?

Atlantic Man 08:54 07 Jul 10

All these answers are irrelevant to the queastion- nothing you guys said is usable- its like checking the tyres of a car, when the engine is broken.
I would say its spyware that hi-jacked your system or your internet connection is disabled- could even be a cable that is unplugged- or if you're on a network then the server DHCP could be faulty- does it put out any message with the exclamation mark???
Only then can someone really give any answers for you.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017