why have my USB ports stopped working

puterdunce 14:04 13 Jan 08

A couple of days ago I restored my computer to its factory settings and worked away from there re-installing my files using my CD/DVD drive.

I couldn't get my router to work on any USB port but it did work on ethernet and my laptop connects wirelessly OK. But now my t'other halfs ipod won't connect to itunes via USB and my memory stick which contains all my downloaded files prior to retore is not showing up on the "my computer" list and my webcam although the software and driver was acepted by the wizard the programme can't find the camera again in a USB port. Please can anyone tell me why and give me a clue what to do. Many thanks.

Forum Editor 14:13 13 Jan 08

is to look in Device manager to see if the USB ports are listed. If you're not sure how to do that, go to start and click on control panel. Then click on the system icon and look for hardware/device manager.

If no USB ports are there you can try telling Windows to scan for new hardware - that often fixes the problem. If it doesn't, come back and we'll try something else.

puterdunce 15:35 13 Jan 08

Well in between time I've looked through the forums and read that if you uninstall the USB ports and reboot it might reset them. I did this and they've moved into the other devices list in device manager and have yellow question marks set against them. Dun good eh, and of course the ports still don't work.

brundle 15:42 13 Jan 08

Get some more detailed info on your system with this click here, give us the PC make/model, or motherboard model number and we can go from there. It sounds as if you need motherboard/chipset/usb drivers.

puterdunce 15:55 13 Jan 08

The info I have is as follows:-

Mesh computer Elite 630 Mini tower type

Intel pentium 4-630 (3.0GHz, 2MB cache) with HT tech

Motherboard ASUS P5RD1 by ASUStec INC REV 1.xx

Chipset Texas Instru OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

brundle, I trust this is of some use.

puterdunce 16:11 13 Jan 08

OK,OK brundle the penny has dropped!! you see that is why I'm in the absolute beginners forum.
I've downloaded and I'm gonna take a look. Cheers

brundle 16:18 13 Jan 08

No problem, post back if you have any further issues

puterdunce 19:08 13 Jan 08

brundle. I downloaded SIW and had a look the Driver file and the 4 files prefixed by USB are all "stopped".

In the Ports file the USB ports description show USB ports 1 & 2 not supported and list the other 5 ports as the mouse, ipod, disgo (memory stick, USB device, USB network interface all items I have had connected in the past I suppose.

Now where do I go from here? Do I really need a motherboard I am quite happy to have a go at replacing it as everthing else seems to work OK.

brundle 19:25 13 Jan 08

Re-install chipset drivers ; click here

There are a couple of other P5RD1 models on the Asus site, double check the chipset description in SIW matches the download.

puterdunce 20:17 13 Jan 08

I have downloaded the ATI chipset driver all 54MB of it at 26.7KB/sec. But sorry to be an abject pain it is a zip file format and how do I unzip it or is it necessary and how and where do I install it to. Apologies

brundle 21:01 13 Jan 08

Unzip with XP's built in zip handling click here or use 7zip click here, once the file is unzipped find a file called Setup.exe and run that. Probably a good idea to disconnect from the 'net and *temporarily* disable your antivirus software for the installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac