Why have loads of Windows popped up?

Halmer 10:13 21 Feb 03

I was looking at the PCA site when suddenly (for the second time in my experience) loads of windows kept opening up at random completely taking over my PC.

Why has this happened?

Is it a fault on my PC?

Is it malicious?

I have Pop Up Stopper on Win ME!

MalcSP 10:25 21 Feb 03

an anti-virus on your PC? If not then this is symptomatic of Lirva, sometimes called the Avril Lavigne virus. Alternatively, your mouse may need cleaning. If it is the former: click here and select W32.Lirva.

Halmer 12:07 21 Feb 03

when I'm on the PCA site.

It's just done it again. This time I left it and they all vanished in the end and I could carry on surfing.

It also bought up the 'file download' windoew and asked me if I wanted to open or save to disk.

Really getting on my paps tho'.

The address bar says something like 'doubleclick' in it.

Halmer 12:31 21 Feb 03

literally hundreds of windows popped up.

I noted ia.zentopy whatever that meansin the address bar as well as 'vibrant media'.

It then started to download (without my permission) 5450.html from vibrant media.

What on earth is happeneing please?

beeuuem 12:33 21 Feb 03

This happened to me twice last night also on PCA site using IE6. It appeared to be a pop up for HP printers which opened 8-9 windows. Closed them and no further trouble.

Djohn 13:03 21 Feb 03

Just advertising and nothing to worry about too much, although it can be annoying.

A pop-up stopper program, along with Ad-Aware will take care of them. Regards. J.

leo49 13:07 21 Feb 03

Something would appear to be amiss as I'm running flavours of ME with PopUp Stopper and get zero ads on PCA site.

Regards

Halmer 14:10 21 Feb 03

I have pop up stopper and Ad Aware and it still happened.

siouxah1 16:42 21 Feb 03

Had the same problem some weeks ago.

Upgrading to IE 5.5 made no difference. Fortunately it now seems to have gone away.(Touch wood.) Only happened on PCA site.

Hope yours goes away sooner than mine did.

Brian.

Djohn 16:54 21 Feb 03

Halmer, that is strange then! I get no pop-ups of any kind at all, but my stopper, from aol, is reporting all the time at the bottom of browser, as to how many it is stopping. J.

Tesman 17:19 21 Feb 03

I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago on my wife's computer-strangely, my own machine (both running Windows XP) was'nt affected.
The usual virus/trojan/spyware scans came up clean, and the only way I could find to stop it was to open the security tab of Internet Options, and add the following to the Restricted Sites (exactly as shown):

*.doubleclick.com
*.doubleclick.de
*.doubleclick.net

No problems since. I can't claim any credit for this, by the way, I found it via a Google search-if I can find the page again, I'll post it for you.
Anyway, hope it helps.

Tes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…