Why has my external USB hard drive showing as G

lester1 23:35 03 May 06

This drive has always shown as drive F

My digital camera was shown as G

Now for some reason the drive letters have been reversed. How can this happen and is there a way to correct it?

No majour problem but I would like to know how it happened.

Win XP SP2

johnnyrocker 23:47 03 May 06

somebody may come up with the true definition of what has happened, the less informed of us say welcome to the world of computing.

johnny.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:56 03 May 06

It is for HDs and CDs but the principle is the same. They usually change if you remove a disk or a piece of equipment.

G

lester1 23:57 03 May 06

he he he got used to the idiosyncrasies of 98 but this is the first bummer that XP has thrown up.Oh well not bad after 16 months I suppose

lester1 00:20 04 May 06

I have not changed the way I unmount the drives, I always remove the USB drive via the Safely remove hardware icon, and unplug the camera when finished.So whats happened?

mgmcc 00:39 04 May 06

With all devices connected, if you go into Disk Management (right click My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management) you can allocate specific drive letters to each drive.

If the camera is shown as "F" and you want to use "F" for the external drive, give the camera a new letter such as "K", allocate "F" to the external drive, which frees up "G", then allocate "G" as a fixed letter to the camera.

billyliv 07:24 04 May 06

Hi, A few months ago something altered all my drive letters. What used to be my 'C' drive is now 'I' etc. I have learned to live with it. Who knows? one day it may revert back. Cheers, Bill.L.

Graham ® 09:33 04 May 06

Give your external drive the letter Z. Then you always know where it is.

lester1 22:38 04 May 06

Thanks that put things back to normal, I just wonder if Acronis TI is causing the change.I checked disk access after changing the drive letters and noticed that Acronis started to refer to the drive as G?. Any way to be safe I have chenged the drives back to their new letters

woodchip 22:43 04 May 06

Right click "My Computer" choose Manage\ Disc Management you should be able to change the letters

lester1 22:50 04 May 06

Thanks woodchip that was mgmcc's suggestion and it worked. I am just concerned about Acronis refering to the USB drive as G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…