Why Fat 32 instead of NFTS in XP?

Faser 05:48 27 Jul 04

I bought a faulty second hand Time laptop, the spec is mobile 1800 Athlon xp, 368mb of ram and a 40 GB HDD.

It works really well after repairing it and reinstalling Win XP from one of the two sets of Time XP recovering disc's (One set wouldn't work and why two?).

The only problem is the battery management is wildly inaccurate and while checking this out I noticed the file system is FAT 32.

I am puzzled as why Time chose FAT 32 instead of NFTS for their Win XP OEM recovery and is this likely to cause any problems. Is it worth converting to NFTS which is I believe a simple procedure?

Gaz 25 05:54 27 Jul 04

NTFS in short is faster, more reliable and easier for windows XP to work with!

The Dark Sage 08:30 27 Jul 04

Yes it is worth converting. Reasons listed by Gaz 25. It is also more secure for your data, and you also need to be using it to use some of the features of win XP

ventanas 09:30 27 Jul 04

Agree with the others. Well worth converting.

To do this open a command prompt and type:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

You will be told that the drive is in use, choose to convert at the next restart and go through the motions. Done it many times and never had a problem.

Faser 15:38 27 Jul 04

How I hate manufactures oem operating systems!

Have tried to to convert as suggested without success. I get the message "The facility to convert from FAT32 to NTFS is not available on this volume".

I do have another OEM XP from a PC I broke up, however it would mean starting from scratch and I would have to find the drivers for the laptop.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions I will leave things as they are, thanks for you help.

Faser 16:39 27 Jul 04

Please ignore previous posting I have successfully changed to NTFS.

I have high security software and settings on the laptop, everything worked fine when I disabled them. The only minor problem I can see is the firewall has reverted to it's original state. At least it shows the security works!

Once again thanks for your help.

ventanas 16:43 27 Jul 04

I've never heard of that before. I would be interested to see if anyone has any ideas. Must be something to do with the particular drive. Do you know what make it is?

I would be careful with the other OEM CD, because you could have problems activating it. Remember OEM licences cannot be transferred.

ventanas 16:45 27 Jul 04

Whoops, we must have crossed. At least you've got there. Well sussed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…