Why doesn't Windows Media Player show?

Teasle 19:59 07 Aug 05

Please could somebody try and help.
I use NOF7 for creating my webpages. I have inserted WMP on a page but when I publish it, there is just a blank space where the video should be. It is there in page preview and the video which is a mpg file is showing as being on my server.
This is my webpage click here
Any ideas anyone what I am doing wrong?

Kind regards

Forum Editor 01:06 08 Aug 05

I see hundreds of web sites in the course of my work, and not all of them are memorable. Your site held my attention however. I found it fascinating, it does exactly what a good site should - it entertained and informed. If I can have a slight niggle, it's that the navigation could do with a tweak or two - I found myself a little lost at times.

Now to your question. Your file isn't playing because you don't have the necessary html on the page. Here's the code for embedding a WMP file on the page. Note that to see the file properly in both IE and Firefox you'll need both <object> and <embed> tags - you'll obviously need to set the filename and attributes for both. Here's the code that will embed the file and show the controls:-

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"

STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">

<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="videofilename.wmv">

<PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true">

<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false">

<PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false">

<PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false">

<EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="videofilename.wmv" NAME="MediaPlayer"

WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED>

anchor 09:45 08 Aug 05

I downloaded the 36.7Mb MPG file only to find it would not play; my WMP did not have the necessary codec.

Teasle 12:38 08 Aug 05

FE - Thank you for your kind comments - I will have another look at the navigation on my site and see how I can improve it.
I will have ago inserting the coding as you suggest.

anchor - Oh sorry about that - it plays ok on my pc and I haven't had any other complaints about the file from others that have downloaded it but I will have another look.

Thank you to both of you for responding.

ade.h 16:10 08 Aug 05

You may want to convert the file into WMA to make sure that all versions of Windows Media Player can display it. Native Mpeg support was only introduced on version 9 or 10. Anyone who happens to have a Quicktime browser plugin should see it automatically, all being well, but it failed to work in that way for me. I viewed it in Firefox. Once you get your HTML sorted, it will probably work.

You could add a brief summary of what people will need to view it, such as using certain media players and/or codecs, just so that they know what to expect.

Lovely site design, by the way; the graphics are superb.

Teasle 10:43 09 Aug 05

Thanks to the help given to me here, I think I've managed to achieved what I wanted i.e. fans can either download the video file or watch it on my web page. The file is still very big even though I've now converted it to a wmv file - I did read on the net about converting it to a much smaller shockwave file and using Flash but that's for another day.
As ade.h suggested I will add a comment on what people will need to view it - when I know myself!

BTW I have to admit to having nothing to do with the picture of the girl on my site. That was designed by soulkarma.com.

Thanks for your help folks.

Forum Editor 16:05 09 Aug 05

I've just enjoyed the video.

anchor 09:16 10 Aug 05

Much better, I can watch the video now; thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…