Why does switch user cause connection problems?

Garawa 12:32 28 Jan 10

When I do a switch user and keep the internet connection open, it drops it and struggles to reconnect. I either get "could not connect", "the remote computer didn't respond in a timely manner" or "the process was terminated" error messages. The only way to connect is to keep clicking START > Connect To endlessly until it connects. When I switch back, my emails download but I can't view them as everything has switched to "offline" even if the internet is back connected (this isn't an issue, just weird).

I haven't had any problems with this issue before in the 5 years that I have had this pc and Windows XP. Everything is up to date inc virus etc.

Garawa 16:16 30 Jan 10

Forgot to say the issue is the same if I log off and log back in without a restart. It does connect eventually after about 10-15 attempts.

rdave13 16:49 30 Jan 10

I've always had problems with 'switch users' in XP. Most times it's either a security program that won't load/run properly or some other issue. Since XP I always log off and then log on to a new user. Saves a lot of hassle.
Haven't tried it yet in Win 7 but old habits die hard.

Garawa 15:30 04 Feb 10

Thanks. This weeks its not been too bad but last night did the same. Doesn't matter how you log into another account, if it wasn't straight from startup it does this, but only in the last 12 months or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…