why does my "wireless networks" tab disappear!!!

piggylen 10:05 24 Apr 09

I am able to get it to reappear by "start - run - type "servies.msc", right click on Wireless Zero Config, start, but why does is keep disappearing, and making my wireless connection drop off? It will need to be in VERY basic english as I am a total technophobe, and it has taken me a fortnight to get this far!!! Thank you

mgmcc 14:38 25 Apr 09

There are basically two way to manage your wireless networking:

- via Windows with the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service.

- via the third-party software provided with the wireless network adapter.

The problem can be that, if you're using Wireless Zero Configuration but still have the adapter's own software installed, each time the PC is booted the adapter's own software takes back control and disables the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service. The solution to that is to uninstall the adapter's wireless software so that it is installed with *DRIVERS ONLY*.

However, as far as I know, this situation of the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service being stopped only happens when the PC is booted; I haven't come across instances of the service stopping during the normal running of Windows.

piggylen 17:55 25 Apr 09

Thanks for your reply. My wireless connection to my son's Xbox is via an Orange Livebox. It does seem to happen anytime - even when the computer is left on standby. In the bottom right hand corner of my screen there is the time, a volume icon, a bluetooth (?) icon and then a green "connection" icon which changes to an orange exclamation mark when it tells me I have "limited or no connectivity" and that is when the wireless networks tab has disappeared. Can you suggest how I might be able to stop it happening?
Thank you

mgmcc 20:05 25 Apr 09

In the Services window, double click the Wireless Zero Configuration service to open its Properties sheet. Is the "Startup Type" set to Automatic?

Also, in its Properties, click the Recovery tab and set its First, Second and Subsequent failures all to "Restart the service". Other than that the only thing I can suggest is, as in my earlier message, to uninstall the wireless adapter's own software in case that is conflicting with Wireless Zero Configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac