Why does my connection die after inactivity?

GibsonSt19 13:22 03 Jun 05

Hi all, would anyone know why my wireless laptop looses it's connection if I don't use it for say 30 mins? The hard wired desktop PC is fine and remains connected permanently.

What confuses me though, is that when I return to my laptop, the network still reports as being active and connected, the wireless USB stick software (Netgear) shows it's connected (at a great speed and with excellent reception), but MSN won't connect, and I cant get on the net.

All's well if I simply restart the laptop, but I don't want to have to do this each time.

Help!

wiz-king 19:32 03 Jun 05

Check to see if the always on out box is ticked IE/tools/options/connections look for never dial a connection and make sure it is ticked.

GibsonSt19 19:53 03 Jun 05

This is sortof already selected, as the laptop connects via the network.

GibsonSt19 09:52 04 Jun 05

Any other ideas?

Steve- 10:07 04 Jun 05

If you are using Zone Alarm try shutting it down and restarting (the ZA prog), I have this problem with the latest version and have had to uninstall and use Windows Firewall instead.

wiz-king 11:17 04 Jun 05

The network connection is always on but your Internet Explorer may still be set to disconect after 30 min of inactivity.

GibsonSt19 11:18 04 Jun 05

Hmm, I use Opera which I think doesn't have this option

selfbuild 11:40 04 Jun 05

Check your Power Options in the control panel.

GibsonSt19 11:42 04 Jun 05

Can't see anything in Power Options that would affect the connection. Am I being dumb?

selfbuild 12:08 04 Jun 05

Ok.... right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Network Adapters and select Wireless USB or whatever it is being listed as. Right click it > Properties and click on the Power Management Tab.....

GibsonSt19 12:11 04 Jun 05

There is no Power Management tab for it.

Just General, Advanced, Driver and Details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced