Why does my connection die after inactivity?

GibsonSt19 13:22 03 Jun 05

Hi all, would anyone know why my wireless laptop looses it's connection if I don't use it for say 30 mins? The hard wired desktop PC is fine and remains connected permanently.

What confuses me though, is that when I return to my laptop, the network still reports as being active and connected, the wireless USB stick software (Netgear) shows it's connected (at a great speed and with excellent reception), but MSN won't connect, and I cant get on the net.

All's well if I simply restart the laptop, but I don't want to have to do this each time.

Help!

wiz-king 19:32 03 Jun 05

Check to see if the always on out box is ticked IE/tools/options/connections look for never dial a connection and make sure it is ticked.

GibsonSt19 19:53 03 Jun 05

This is sortof already selected, as the laptop connects via the network.

GibsonSt19 09:52 04 Jun 05

Any other ideas?

Steve- 10:07 04 Jun 05

If you are using Zone Alarm try shutting it down and restarting (the ZA prog), I have this problem with the latest version and have had to uninstall and use Windows Firewall instead.

wiz-king 11:17 04 Jun 05

The network connection is always on but your Internet Explorer may still be set to disconect after 30 min of inactivity.

GibsonSt19 11:18 04 Jun 05

Hmm, I use Opera which I think doesn't have this option

selfbuild 11:40 04 Jun 05

Check your Power Options in the control panel.

GibsonSt19 11:42 04 Jun 05

Can't see anything in Power Options that would affect the connection. Am I being dumb?

selfbuild 12:08 04 Jun 05

Ok.... right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Network Adapters and select Wireless USB or whatever it is being listed as. Right click it > Properties and click on the Power Management Tab.....

GibsonSt19 12:11 04 Jun 05

There is no Power Management tab for it.

Just General, Advanced, Driver and Details.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…