Why does my computer freeze so often?

TCTOPCAT 16:21 06 Apr 04

I have windows ME, 500mb DDR ram, 1800+ athlon processer, GEFORCE FX5600 256mb DDR ram graphics card (recently installed). My computer freezes and stops responding quite frequently. The problem usally occurs when I try to load up games. Is there any reason or solution to this problem.

Diodorus Siculus 16:28 06 Apr 04

It may help to increase the paging file, as well as ensure that you only have the minimum of programs running at any one time.

Use MSConfig or click here
to determine what runs.

Lead 16:49 06 Apr 04

As you say it happens when you start games and your graphics card is new, then it is possibly down to that. Try reinstalling the drivers/card.

Can you refit your old card and see if it still happens?

sattman 17:07 06 Apr 04

Need to ask yourself did the problem start after I either installed some software or after I made some changes to the computor.

It could be many many reasons and only luck or a process of elimination will solve it.

Maybe you could try to restrict which programmes start up and one by one eliminit the problem, if it is software related.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…