//some 3rd party need geo

why does IE refuse to install ??!!

Limariami 14:09 10 Dec 04

It seems that my computer does not want to have anything to do with Internet Explorer.

I have tried downloading IE from the Microsoft site and have tried installing it from a disk but it never installs. Everything seems to be proceeding normally then at the end a dialog box comes up with Incomplete Installation - with NO indication of why it didnt install (missing file ? conflict ? ).

I have looked at Microsoft ' site but it was not helpful.

If I remember correctly, the problems started when I tried to revert to a previous version of IE. A friend said that even when you uninstall IE, it is never completely uninstalled. Are my problems related to this?

I would prefer to continue using Opera but I have no option but to use Internet Explorer too because some sites demand it and because I am developinng a web page.

Thanks

Limariami

Windows 98 SE

MichelleC 14:15 10 Dec 04

If you've tried the 'repair' option, you'll have to reinstall 98 to fix ie:

To install IE 5.5/or 6, you must first reinstall the default IE 5.0 by reinstalling Windows. To do this, you must have either the Windows 98 SE CD, or a copy of the installation (CAB) files on the hard disk.

To determine if the CAB files are on the hard disk, click Start, point to Find, and click Files and Folders. From the "Look in" dropdown menu, choose Local hard drives. In "Named", enter Win98*.CAB, then click Find Now. The correct folder will contain dozens of matching files. Note the path to the folder.

To install IE 5.0 during Windows installation, locate the file C:\Windows\System\IEMIGRAT.DLL (you can use Find). Right-click the IEMIGRAT.DLL file, then click Rename and change the filename to IEMIGRAT.OLD.

Disable your antivirus, and reinstall Windows by running Setup.exe on the Windows CD; or Setup.exe in the CAB files folder on the hard disk.

After the reinstallation (30 to 45 minutes), install IE 5.5 or 6; then obtain the latest security patches from Windows Update.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 10 Dec 04

Try Control panel ADD/REMOVE Programs - add/remove windows components - tick the internet explorer box follow the prompts and install from the windows 98 CD.

After that install IE6 from the disk.

Limariami 10:54 12 Dec 04

Thanks for the feedback.

In response to Michelle C
- yes i have tried the Repair option
- i do not have the CAB files
Do you have any idea of what's causing the problem though? (I had thought of reinstalling but of course it would take more time to install programmes etc, and I really dont have time.)

FruitBat-this is what i tried. for some reason IE is not like other programmes.

VoG II 14:59 06 Jan 05

Try removing all traces click here

Then start again click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…