Why does ChkDisk run on startup?

Southernboy 13:55 11 Feb 05

The last few times I have switched this PC on, the Chkdisk screen appears. It states that "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistancy" and then runs ChkDisk.

Once this has run, bootup continues as normal.

Does anyone have any ideas, please?

stylehurst 13:58 11 Feb 05

I am assuming that you are running XP or W2k as your operating system.
Chkdsk normally runs at startup if the "dirty bit" has been set.
This can be caused either by an incorrect shut down, or possibly due to errors caused by a faulty sector on your HDD.

Southernboy 14:08 11 Feb 05

What do you mean by "dirty bit". Surely, if ChkDisk thought there was a problem, it would only need to run once?

Why does it do it every time?

VoG II 14:13 11 Feb 05
  Southernboy 23:05 11 Feb 05

I printed off the MS article and am none the wiser.

Before doing so, I ran a full check on both hard drives, and both reported no problems and no bad sectors.

According to the MS article, we would have had to physically added Chkdsk to Scheduled Tasks, and we have not. We do not use any scheduled tasks. To be sure, I have checked, and there are no scheduled tasks listed.

This is not my PC, but I am sure the owner (who kindly allows me to use it for internet access from time to time) would be as nervous as I about editing the Registry. In any event, hoe on earth could something be added to the Registry without any action on our part? It makes no sense.

The third option should, surely, be covered by the full Chkdsk I have carried out and, anyway, the article warns that only "advanced users" should attempt this.

To reiterate, the PC started doing this a couple of days ago, without any warning or "user interaction".

So, any other thoughts, please?

Southernboy 23:07 11 Feb 05

the Chkdsk specifies the second hard drive D. As far as I can see, it does not mention drice C.

VoG II 23:11 11 Feb 05

Check what is in the Registry. This is not as daunting as it seems. Are you nervous aboout editing Word documents?

Southernboy 14:07 13 Feb 05

As I said, this is not my PC, so I can't risk doing any damage. The article by MS you gave me has dire warnings about editing the registry.

Don't understand the reference to Word - I don't use MS Office or Works, so I know nothing about Word.

Southernboy 14:11 13 Feb 05

This is an Evesham PC still under the three year onsite warranty. If the hard drive is failing, would they not replace it? I understand a hard drive can be failing mechanically without any bad sectors.

What does checking for "consistancy" actually mean? Does anyone know?

Southernboy 17:55 14 Feb 05

have sorted this today.

They talked me through formatting drive D, rebooting in Safe Mode, and formatting the HD again for NTFS.

Problem solved. Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…