Why does all my d/top icons h/light at once.

mosfet 21:46 26 Apr 03

This is an old problem.I have just formated & the pc is running better than ever,but this problem is still there.first one icon stays on and i can't get rid,if i click on another any number or all stick on.All i can do is restart.

Any ideas PLEASE Les

Foolsbane_1 22:28 26 Apr 03

Which operating system?

mosfet 20:04 27 Apr 03

Sorry it's Win98se

ton 21:22 27 Apr 03

Sounds like a software conflict. I would suggest to install things one at a time till the problem happens.

mosfet 22:06 27 Apr 03

I havn't put much back in yet,after formating for this reason.It's ok for several days sometimes,so like many other things I can't pin it down.
But keep thinking please.
Les

_Treb_ 15:25 28 Apr 03

This could be a keyboard problem. If you hold down the shift key and select one icon a group of them will highlight. If you hold down the Ctrl key and select an icon it will highlight and stay that way even when you select another and that too becomes highlighted. Therefore it is possible that you either have sticky keys, a bad input connection or an intermittent cable break. Try a new keyboard. Hope this makes sense and good luck. Please post back if successful.

mosfet 17:51 28 Apr 03

_Treb_ good point I do know I have those keys stick very occasionally plus alt.I did't tie it up cos I am a bit thick sometimes.I'll get back when proven.It might be a while.thanks.

Les

mosfet 20:57 07 May 03

My pc has really been a pain tonight.I was just going to shut down,with difficulty,I could'nt close the windows,when I did get to the desktop an icon was lit then four,it was 100% definitely the shift key "partially" contacting.Many thanks to you folks and pcadviser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…