Why do people put up with Internet Explorer?

Pesala 09:37 04 Sep 03

I did a simple test. I visited a MSN group, browsing through a few pages to look at the messages. I timed how long it took for Internet Explorer to go back to the previous eight pages by clicking on the back button and waiting for the pages to load. I repeated the test with the forward button.

Result? About 40 seconds in each case.

I then repeated the test in Opera.

Result? About 2 or 3 seconds. Just as long as it takes you to click eight times.

Maybe I don't know how to get the best from Internet Explorer, but I cannot comprehend why anyone would put up with that, if that is the best it can do? One might expect to wait five seconds to view a page for the first time, but once the page is cached, why should one have to wait at all?

Please enlighten me. Tell me how to speed up my browsing experience in Internet Explorer.

-pops- 09:42 04 Sep 03

I almost never use IE.

Andsome 09:59 04 Sep 03

NO problems with I.E.whatsoever

Wes Tam ;-) 10:06 04 Sep 03

"Why do people put up with Internet Explorer?"

Because I like it.

As with most things in life, the choice is yours - why spend life whingeing when there are better things to do.

Stay with Opera if that's your pleasure.

hotwired 10:33 04 Sep 03

IE 6 rules the roost no question about it.

The rest can eat dust

Jester2K II 10:43 04 Sep 03

Why do some people drive BMW and some Mercedes?

Why do some people like Pork and other Beef?

Why do some people like the colur red and others the colour blue?

People like things for different reasons.

You've only picked ONE aspect of the difference between the two browsers. There maybe other adavantage that IE has over Opera.

helmetshine 10:53 04 Sep 03

I mainly use Firebird...and while i find it faster than IE,there isn't that much difference....but i do liked the tabbed browsing which is why i use it.Unfortunately not all web sites display properly unless you're using IE and thats why i still use it as well as firebird....and thats a good enough reason to keep using it.Apart from that...it's not a bad browser anyway

Linus Tourvald 11:01 04 Sep 03

i agree i use firebird as well and the best feature about it is the tabbed browsing. also it is so very fast!!!

I think if more people got to know about other browsers then IE would NOT be the first choice.

but as always Microsoft rule the market, NOT FOR MUCH LONGER! More and more people are seeking alternatives to MS.

Come on all of you check out a few other browsers and see what your missing!

-pops- 11:12 04 Sep 03

By not using IE, I didn't intend to imply I used Opera - I used to in version 6 but not any more.

I tend much towards Netscape now but I notice that M$ sites don't like you using that and refuse to do very much from a Netscape interrogation.

alcudia 11:52 04 Sep 03

Got all three but somehow IE seems easier. It has less clutter than the others. Opera, of course, has that very handy way of moving back and forth by holding down the mouse button. It may be this that speeds it up.

Pesala 12:30 04 Sep 03

Thank you for all your replies. Sorry I took so long to respond. Someone brought my lunch, so we got talking, and I had to eat.

No one came up with any suggestion on speeding up IE. Caching pages seems like a pretty fundamental thing for a bowser to do. Doesn't IE do that? If it does, why does it still take 5 seconds to load a page that is already on the hard disk? One can revisit a page in offline mode, so it must be on the hard drive.

I rarely use Opera's shortcut of holding one mouse button, while clicking the other to go back and forward. I use the Z/X keys or the back/roward buttons on the toolbar, or Alt Left/Right cursor, just as in IE. It is the caching of pages that speeds up the program so much.

I mention the lack of speed, because this is the single most frustraing thing about IE, but there are many other reasons why I prefer Opera. It is not just a matter of personal preference, like a BMW or a Mercedes - it is more like a BMW or a number 86 bus. A car owner is going to need a pretty good reason to stand and wait for a bus. No money is involved here, either, Opera is just as free as IE.

Another good reason is the ability to zoom in. Even with large fonts, some sites are hard to read in IE. With Opera, I can quickly zoom in as much as I want. My normal setting is 130% zoom.

Another reason is the Multiple Document Interface. Instead of loading a dozen copies of IE, I load one copy of Opera with twelve pages (or 50 pages, no problem) and switch between them with a click of the tab key. While one page is loading, I can switch back to another page to continue reading it. You can also do that with Alt Tab to switch to your other instance of IE, but it is not nearly so convenient.

Then there is the customisable interface. If I don't like the way it looks, or want to define my own shortcuts and buttons, there is no end of options.

I also have built-in email. If an email arrives when I am browsing, I get a notification message and sound, so I can check if it needs an immediate response, or just needs to be deleted. Again, there is not need to switch to another program.

I can only conclude that most IE users put up with it because they have never tried anything else, or spend so little time online, that it is not important enough to be worth learning yet another new program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…