Why do people ask a question on a posting

rins36 23:34 22 May 03

as a reply/suggestion then disappear without trace leaving the person that asked the original question in limbo?

Forum Editor 23:37 22 May 03

and it's the nature of the forum. People may come and go as they please.

rins36 23:40 22 May 03

Forum Editor
That's life I'm afraid

I understand wht u are saying, but its frustrating for computer novices like me that would like a problem to be solved on a decent forum than pay £x to talk to the help line

woodchip 23:41 22 May 03

Well we do have other things to do even me and I am retired. Cannot sit in front of computer all day and night sorry

Djohn 23:42 22 May 03

As FE says, but if your still having problems with this question, click here then just bring it back to the top, people who didn't see it the first time may do so now and offer help. J.

AndySD 23:43 22 May 03

Same here I help when I can ....sometimes even just asking a question as a reply to get the question back to the top so others might see it.

spuds 23:57 22 May 03

Some people may answer a question to the best of their ability. This usually keeps the posting flowing with further additional help from other people, sometimes it doe's not.I like many others, try to offer advice to the best of my ability, and in some cases that is as far as I can go.

beeuuem 23:59 22 May 03

I do sympathise with rins36. There are times, however, when, having made a suggestion that doesn't work, there is nothing more that an individual can add.

Equally frustrating are the times when a number of replies are made to a problem and the thread either 'dies' or is clicked resolved without any comment from the person making the query.

Which, if any, of the offered solutions worked then becomes another of life’s great mysteries.

Forum Editor 00:00 23 May 03

people just run out of ideas - temporarily or permanently - and there's nothing new to suggest. I know this can be frustrating, and I can assure you it's almost as frustrating for the person who has been trying to help you. Nobody likes to be beaten by a computing problem, but it happens.

Eventually, most of the helproom problems are solved, although you might have to take another bite at the cherry. Don't post a new thread, go back to the original one and post a message: "still unable to solve this, has anyone got any ideas?" or something similar. Try it at the weekend, when people tend to have a little more time to devote to individual threads.

Sion 00:06 23 May 03

How can people complain about a free service? OK, so you may not go a concrete answer sometimes, but if you are that desperate about solving a problem with your PC, phone some premium rate helpline who probably can give you one. You can't expect the people who contribute to this board to be at your call 24/7. Sheesh!

Sometimes the answer may not be easy coming, but i'm sure a decent search of the internet can usually provide more answers to your predicament, rather than sitting at your PC and expecting people to bring the answer to you.

Sion 00:09 23 May 03

Oh yeah, something that is more annoying is when people don't bother to search past posts for an answer to their questions. If i had a pound for every time i saw the topic headline 'How do i convert vinyl to CD', I'd buy myself...well...a couple of CD's probably!

Sorry, that's my rant over. It's late, its pretty lonely in this empty house, and i've been cleaning all day. Ta!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…