Why do page numbers change?

tulip 09:50 19 Oct 06

I I have a word document created on windows 2000. when I ask it to print to a laser printer there are 131 pages. When I ask it to print to an old deskjet there are 129 pages. This makes it difficult as I wanted to print a page with and selected page 60 but page 59 printed out. Does anyone know why this happens and how to solve it.

Eric10 10:04 19 Oct 06

Each type of printer (make and model) has to have a driver written specifically for it to interpret how the data sent from the computer should be converted into print. There may be differences in how the fonts are rendered, slight differences in page margins, line height or any number of other variables. It is no wonder that there will be variations between different printers that become more apparent with long documents. The only way to avoid it is to stick with the same printer.

Jackcoms 10:06 19 Oct 06

From what you say, I suspect that you don't have page breaks between pages.

Thus, the different printers are setting the page numbers based on their own default margin requirements.

For example, the laser primer (which printed 131 pages) may have a top and bottom margin default of, say, 2.5cm; whereas the printer which printed fewer pages may have a smaller default of, say, 2cm.

To solve this you should insert breaks between each page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…