Why do I have to keep reinstalling my

pj123 17:00 21 Mar 06

Epson Perfection 3170 Photo Scanner?

Every 3 or 4 days if I try to scan something all I get is an error message, "Epson Scan cannot be started. Please use the Troubleshooting Assistant to solve the problem. Do you want to open the the Troubleshooting Assistant?"

At first I said "yes" but it didn't solve the problem. I found the best and easiest way was to reinstall the scanner drivers again, and it works perfect for a few days then it goes into the error message again.

Running Windows 98SE.

howard63 20:09 21 Mar 06

have you by any chance updated the epson driver - those for xp are not realy compatible with 98se.

pj123 20:20 21 Mar 06

I have only ever used the CD that came with the scanner, which says, Disc Vol 1.2

The scanner works perfectly after a reinstall, but only for a few days. I have emailed Epson and have had an automated response saying my query is being attended to. Will wait and see what they (Epson) recommend.

howard63 20:37 21 Mar 06

is this an old style scanner that uses the printer port lpt1 and daisy chains with the printer? If it is your printer is doing it - I have a dim memory of a similar problem way back when I got my first ever scanner.

pj123 20:53 21 Mar 06

No, it was first released in 2003. It is USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible.

Full spec here: click here

Have just reinstalled the drivers and it is now working OK again.

pj123 11:28 22 Mar 06

Epson have responded with a comprehensive "What to do" list. I have already done most of things on the list but will try again. At the moment it is still working OK as I reinstalled yesterday.

johnnyrocker 11:32 22 Mar 06

try latest drivers from epson site?

johnny.

pj123 12:10 22 Mar 06

johnnyrocker, thanks. Will do that as well, if there are any.

pj123 11:14 23 Mar 06

Scanner stopped working again today. I tried the Epson site for a driver update yesterday but all I got was "Page cannot be displayed".

Will try again today.

Sethhaniel 11:17 23 Mar 06

notice if I look in temp files there are files twunk etc if they are left alonfe my scanner keps working ok if ccleaner clears these out the scanner has to perform a fresh warm up routine ;)

pj123 11:36 23 Mar 06

Sethhaniel, not running ccleaner but I do use CleanUp every Sunday, plus a small DOS batch file which resets the "index.dat" files back to their defaults, after which I do a complete backup of all my data/files. This is my regular Sunday routine. My previous scanner (Umax) never had any problems. I bought the current Epson because it has Film and Slide facilities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant