Why do I get spam meant for other people

newface 20:26 09 Oct 07

I often receive spam with an email address that is similar to, but not actually mine. Eg if say my e-mail was [email protected], I get it for [email protected] or [email protected] I get enough rubbish coming to me at my proper e-mail address, so I don't need any more.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening, does it happen to anyone else, or am I just plain unlucky?

Ashrich 23:24 09 Oct 07

If you could expand the addresses it was sent to , you'd see yours in there somewhere . What is happening is that the spammer is mass mailing every combination it can generate ending in your ISP's address , so it would say ...spuddy , spiky , spiro , etc. it's just that your email client can't show them all . I was often getting these several years ago , until I bought my own domain name , now I have a filter that is adjustable via my sellers web site so I can filter things before it is sent to me , for a few pounds a year ut works better than any mail washer or software spam filter .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…