why did my age of empires explode inside my pc?

claudine 22:39 28 Oct 06

- heard loud bang yesterday but no smoke and my pc worked ok, then today tried to use dvd drive which wouldn't open. When we finally got it open the game inside was in tiny pieces. Went to pc world today to enquire about new dvd drive and they had never heard of such a thing happening. Has anyone any idea of what it might have been? It was literally like a small explosion, but there was no smoke or burning smell.

Strawballs 22:41 28 Oct 06

It must have had a crack in it , I have seen this before with todays drives spinning at speeds of 52X a small crack will be pulled apart by centrifugal force.

Giggle n' Bits 22:42 28 Oct 06

or worn. Also if the CD had been spinning for hours and got warm with being damaged in the first place then this would happen. Good instruction manuals state do not insert damaged or dirty disks.

As for PC World. They arn't very technical, there just a sales with a very basic knowledge.

Giggle n' Bits 22:42 28 Oct 06

sean-278262 22:48 28 Oct 06

Take it back. I had a similar problem with a Packard bell. Turned out not to be the disk at all but a problem in the drive not spinning correctly and basically the disk spun free of the clamp the end was history.

sean-278262 22:50 28 Oct 06

Also the onus is on them to prove that it wasnt the drives fault but your "faulty" CD in the first 6 months. Thats what british sales laws say. Make sure to let them know that you know your rights.

X™ 22:58 28 Oct 06

YEAH! I had thiswith "Art Attack" It wasn't cracked, but the drive was spinning incorrectly. Take the drive back.

BRYNIT 23:49 28 Oct 06

You are lucky it didn't blow the front of the DVD drive off throwing peices of disk out.

I had this problem on a 52X CD drives when they first came out a a few years ago. The drive could not hold the disk when is reached its full speed. The disk hit the inside of the drive shattered and knocked the front off recking the drive and the disk.

claudine 13:54 30 Oct 06

thank you for all replies!

MichelleC 14:11 30 Oct 06

The same happened to me a few years back. AOE disc disintegrated in cd drive. I took out all the shrapnel and the Lite-On still worked fine. I think there was a tiny dent in disc which caused it to explode after a time.

man of steel11 18:16 31 Oct 06

i had the same problem with a packard bell..i took it back to pc world ,and they changed the dvd drive..no questions asked either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…