Why did I try to install SP2?

grifval 08:48 02 Mar 05

I decided to do a clean install of XP. I have spent a whole week re-installing everything that I wanted on it, and it was running brilliantly. I put back SP1 which I had on previously. Everyone told me to install SP2, which I had hung back from on my old setup, because I had heard a lot of adverse stories about it, including from magazines. I bit the bullet and installed. Halfway through it couldn't find a file, (which I could perfectly see) and said it would stop installation and put files back as they were. This started to happen, but some way through, just stopped, and said XP was not fully back, and would probably not run OK. It gets as far as the Desktop but won't display icons, saying " Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will have to close", I have tried Safe Mode, but that hangs during Post. Any help? Would a re-install of XP over the top work?

VoG II 08:53 02 Mar 05
  rmriph 10:41 02 Mar 05

I to had problems with installing SP2 and after hitting my head against the wall i started all over again but this time i reinstalled windows, then before anything else i installed the SP2, then all the other programmes with no problems,worth a try

Stuartli 12:42 02 Mar 05

Just a small point - SP2 includes SP1.

I've installed SP2 on several systems to date and it's been very straightforward.

Make sure you do a Restore Point first and close down everything that you can first.

grifval 23:34 02 Mar 05

To VoG, rmriph, Stuartli,
Thanks for all help and suggestions, I tried the lot. No change. I even tried to re-install over the top, but still would not run Windows Explorer and Desktop. In the end, I had to format and install XP. I will never put SP2 on again, I would rather go back to my way of SP1 plus individual critical updates. I haven't gor over yet, a whole weeks work wasted.

Migwell 00:49 03 Mar 05

Installing SP2 straight after Win XP and SP1 is the best way to do it. Then and only then install SP2 after that you can do as you like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…