Why did I ever think of switching to XP?

pj123 14:20 25 Sep 06

I have (had) 2 PCs both running Win 98SE with no problems whatsoever.

Some time ago I thought I would give XP a go on one of them. I bought an 80gb hard drive and Win XP Home with SP2.

All fine up until about a week ago.

Now I keep getting program crashes. Ctrl, Alt, Delete brings up: “Program not responding” I click End Task and then End Now but nothing happens. I get an eggtimer and after 20 minutes it’s still there. The only thing I can do is hit the off button on the front and reboot.

I have found the worst culprit is Pinnacle Studio 9 but it happens with other programs as well.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times but it is still the same.

Pinnacle told me to download a “patch” which I did (all 70mb of it) but that has made no difference.

Pinnacle and all other programs are working with no problems on my other PC with Win 98SE

Fortunately, I still have the original 40gb hard drive with 98SE which I can go back to. But why should this happen?

VoG II 14:24 25 Sep 06

Try start, Run, enter

sfc /scannow

and click OK. More click here

Stuartli 14:28 25 Sep 06

Have you run the Program Compatability Wizard (Start>Programs>Accessories>PCW?)

XP is the most stable OS I've ever used.

Sethhaniel 14:35 25 Sep 06

DirectX8 and the 7.10 (or higher) driver for Studio 7 must be installed.

click here

Pinnacle Studio 9 & XP update 2 - don't work together ... you can install Studio before installing the SP2 upgrade with no problems.

pj123 15:19 25 Sep 06

Thanks VoG™ running sfc /scannow now.

Stuartli will give that a try as well. I have actually uninstalled Studio 9 again at the moment. Will reinstall as soon as scannow has finished.

Sethhaniel, I know I have DirectX 9 on my Win98SE PC. How do I find out what version I have on XP? Also, can I uninstall SP2 so that I can try Studio 9 first and then put SP2 back on?

VoG II 15:23 25 Sep 06

To find the version of DirectX, start, Run, enter

dxdiag

and click OK.

Removing SP2 click here

Stuartli 16:04 25 Sep 06

If you do uninstall SP2 and decide to put it back on again (and you should!), then you also need to catch up with all the SP3 updates since SP2 was released in August 2004.

Easiest way is using AutoPatcher from:

click here

Stuartli 16:05 25 Sep 06

Do you also have the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack for 98SE? See:

click here

pj123 16:42 25 Sep 06

Don't know what has happened now.

Since scannow it won't boot. Keeps coming up with "This copy of Win XP needs activating"

The PC is not connected to the internet as I am still only trying it out.

When I first installed it I activated over the phone. Guess I have to do that again???

Maybe another reason to stick with 98SE, at least it works with no problems.

pj123 17:50 28 Sep 06

Well, I have absolutely no confidence in Win XP whatsoever.

I have now reformatted and reinstalled Win XP from scratch.

The only program I have installed on it at the moment is Pinnacle Studio 9.

As soon as I start the program it locks up and Ctrl, Alt, Delete brings up: Program is not responding.

If I click on End Task and then End nothing happens (again). I have to switch off from the front, (hold in for 5 seconds).

I have now put my Win 98SE hard drive back in and everything is working fine. No problems whatsoever.

I will stay with Win 98SE.

Although this problem is not resolved I will tick it as I don't have the patience to keep on trying. I am quite happy running Win 98SE.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Kate B 19:36 28 Sep 06

Is the PC actually up to running XP? It's quite demanding, I wouldn't run it with less than 51MB of Ram, for example.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…