why did this happen

apollogeemark 23:30 03 Jan 03
  apollogeemark 23:30 03 Jan 03

Hi

I was just on this computer win xp when it turned its self off and then restarted and said a serious error had occured.

It ask if i wanted to report it.

What happend and why did it do that.

Any help

thanks

jazzypop 23:32 03 Jan 03

Right-click My Computer, select Manage, click on Event Viewer. The codes are cryptic, but entering them into Google should reveal an answer.

Forum Editor 23:44 03 Jan 03

this can happen. WinXP is good at recovering from 'serious errors' although they aren't always as serious as it may seem.

Often, a restart like this can occur when something - usually an application - tries to write to the Windows protected memory area. Windows will go to any lengths to guard against this, and will sometimes simply dump everything and restart.

Unless it happens on a regular basis I wouldn't worry unduly - by all means let WinXP report the error. What happens is that the error log is sent to Microsoft, and a database search is automatically triggered. If there's a fix for the problem you'll be presented with a web page containing it - otherwise (and more often than not) you'll simply see a page telling you that there's nothing helpful Microsoft can tell you.

slightlymad 00:30 04 Jan 03

FE has covered possible causes for the restart, but I thought it may be of interest to know that there is an MS update for the error message:

"System Recovered Error Message Update
Download size: 2.8 MB, 6 minutes
This update addresses the "'System has recovered from a serious error' message appears after every reboot" issue in Windows XP, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q317277. Download now to prevent the error message "System has recovered from a serious error" from appearing each time your computer starts. Read more..."

Peter E 00:36 04 Jan 03

(Then again there's a lot I don't know). But what I mean is that occasionally I get an error message from XP and asked if I wish to send a report to Microsoft. I always click to send the report but I've never been presented with a page from Microsoft outlining the possible cause of the problem - or not. Is there something wrong with my system?

apollogeemark 01:19 04 Jan 03

thanks to all. Hope it don't happen to often.

Forum Editor 01:25 04 Jan 03

You must be online when you send the report.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017