Why can't Windows 'see' my DVD writer?

CurlyWhirly 18:19 11 Jan 09

I've just migrated to Vista Home Premium and, for some reason, Windows can't see my DVD writer (which I used to use in my old XP machine) and it's not visible in the BIOS either.

I don't understand it as *only* my DVD writer is connected using an old type IDE cable like that shown below:

click here

Both the (pre-installed) SATA hard drive and the Blu Ray drive have SATA connections so why are they both showing in the IDE section of the BIOS? (screenshot directly below)

Here's a screenshot of what I see in the BIOS:

click here

Now what has got me confused is that the BIOS sees my 4 SATA II connections as IDE connections (above)

In my motherboard screenshot (below) the SATA hard drive and Blu Ray drive are connected to 2 of the SATA II connectors (highlighted in red) whilst my DVD writer (from my old PC) is connected to the solitary IDE connector (highlighted in blue) and yet doesn't show up in the BIOS?

click here

click here is my motherboard specs.

p.s. does anyone know if the master/slave/cable select configuration set-up is standard as I didn't think and it's hard to see what it's set to due to all the wiring in the case not to mention the fact that it was a real struggle getting the DVD writer in the cradle.

I wouldn't want to risk taking it out again in case something broke off my mother board like a capacitor.

Thanks for any help.

I am Spartacus 18:37 11 Jan 09

Have a look elsewhere in the BIOS for a PATA controller that has been disabled. You could also try plugging it in to the IDE connector at the bottom of the motherboard to see what happens.

CurlyWhirly 14:30 12 Jan 09

Thanks for your feedback ;)

I rang ZooStorm who talked me through a solution over the phone.
Their customer service is first class.

Apparently because I have a floppy drive installed and the BIOS looks for it at boot time, this confuses the BIOS and it misses out on the detection of the DVD writer!

The solution was to disable the 'Boot Up Floppy Seek' setting in the BIOS and it is now showing in both the BIOS and in Vista.

The technical support said that in the worse case scenario, I could have bought a SATA to IDE convertor (below)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac