Why can't the owner access his own site?

pj123 16:58 18 Jun 03

Please can someone tell me why a domain name owner cannot access their own site. The site is click here but the owner (who lives in France cannot access it) It always comes up as "this page cannot be displayed" or words to that effect. Everyone else I have asked can access it without any problem whatsoever. I have had to put the same site up on another URL (click here) to enable the owner to see his own site. It is very frustrating for the owner (who has paid for the domain name and the hosting service) to have to use someone else's domain to see their own site? The funny thing is that google search comes up with the eagle1936 site but not the lemanoir-duneveit site?

phil 21:25 18 Jun 03

I don't know the reason for that problem but by looking at the source code for each link I see they are different.

Is one of the versions of the site forwarded to some freespace? Eagle?
The site could be losing itself in frames, but I can't see this in the source code.

Also according to a domain name search engine there seems to be a problem with the name.

I looked to see where it was hosted and found this:
The IP address from which you have visited the Network Solutions Registrar WHOIS
database is contained within a list of IP addresses that may have failed
to abide by Network Solutions' WHOIS policy. Failure to abide by this policy can
adversely impact our systems and servers, preventing the processing of
other WHOIS requests.

Ask them (NSR) what this means. It could be that the reason for your friends inability to see their domain name in France is a problem with access to another country's servers.

Clutching at straws here I'm afraid.

Forum Editor 23:10 18 Jun 03

the WHOIS record for this domain name. It shows that the name is registered to someone called Albatross networks of Norwich.

The Domain Name Server addresses tell me that the name is being hosted by a company called HostU, who are based in Glasgow. There's no earthly reason why your site owner shouldn't be able to see the site on the domain - I can see it without any problem.

The reason that the eagle site shows on search engine returns is probably because it has several meta tags containing relevant keywords. The site on the domain name has no such tags at all.

pj123 13:23 19 Jun 03

Thanks, phil and FE. I will check with the hosting company and see what they say.

I will download the eagle site and then upload it to the other one. Maybe googles spiders will find it in time.

Thanks again. Will tick for now.

tbh72 00:35 24 Jun 03

Have you actually supplied the URL to the client via e-mail so they can try and click the link directly.!.!.!

I'm a little confused by your posting's as they lean more towards finding the site via a search engine!.!.!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…