Why cant i use IE6?

misters 21:02 10 Feb 03

Hi, after posting this thread click here i cam to relise it was ie6 that did not function correctly on my pc, after trying a repair of ie still no joy so eventually i had to resort to ie5 which is working perfectly on my pc, just wondering if anyone knows the problem i'm having with ie6.

I run win/98SE.
thanx in advance.

faichfolds 21:10 10 Feb 03

Where did you get the ie6 update from?
When I installed it from a magazine CD it didn't work in the slightest on 98SE, but the one from windows update worked a treat

misters 21:31 10 Feb 03

I'm afraid to say i tried both magazine and microsoft, mmmmmm

faichfolds 21:33 10 Feb 03

Did you install zone alarm at the same time?
That might have caused a problem

User-312386 21:33 10 Feb 03

as you have uninstalled it now, have you tried re-installing via the critical updates site?

jazzypop 21:52 10 Feb 03

Try disabling your anti-virus while installing.

Djohn 21:56 10 Feb 03

misters, I installed IE6 from PCA cover disk, and I am also using win98se, No problems, but I did disable Z/A, and AVG first. J.

misters 22:20 10 Feb 03

Well I'm back and tried all suggestions, and still the same dont know if something is running in the background though i;ll try again tommorow.

Star5 22:37 10 Feb 03

I had a problem with IE6 & SP1.

Microsoft told me to download from the windows update site and save to desktop. Before running this file - Go to start/run, type msconfig and under Selective startup untick load startup, apply/ok then restart. Now run the file that you downloaded to your desktop. Remember to go back to msconfig to load startup groups again.

This worked for me but my OS is ME and I have not had any problems since.

misters 18:50 11 Feb 03

I'm back and a little confused, how do i save the download to my desktop as when i click on install from the windows update site, the download just begins without giving me the option to save?????

thanx in advance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…