Why can't I upgrade?

Hetti 19:59 03 Jul 04

I was speaking to a PC engineer about an upgade (menory and maybe hard drive)and he said I would not be able to do this myself, as the PC is only 14ghz, 40 gigs hard drive,It is 3 years old and never been upgaded.
He said it could be done but best by a PC engineer why is this?

Quiller. 20:23 03 Jul 04

Most probably because that is his job and how he earns his money.

If you are confident and don't mind taking the sides off the case. Then the installation of addition memory and adding a new \ slave hard drive is simple.

It does need a bit of research, for memory, but there are plenty here to guide you through the process. For example, when you can determine how much extra memory you can add and what size hard drive you want ( this is for a slave, extra hard drive space. The actual fitting should take about 5 minutes.

The first thing to find out is the model of the motherboard and what ram you have installed at the moment.

Download everest home edition from
click here

This will give you a good foundation in which to start.

It is also worth mentioning that motherboards do have limits as to how much ram that can be installed, but I doubt yours has been reached on a 3 year old system.

Hetti 21:00 03 Jul 04

Thanks bsod

I have PC pofile from Belac Advisor.....

KT7A Raid 133 m/hertz,
256 memory,
1.40 g/hertz Athlon Processor,
System model Via technologies,

That was what the engineer said.... motherboard would not cope with more memory, while i'm not a technical wiz, I would not mind giving it a go if it is not to complicated

VoG II 21:14 03 Jul 04

Enter your mobo details click here and see what the Crucial Advisor says.

Quiller. 23:26 03 Jul 04

Do as VoG™ suggests. You will find that your motherboard can support up to 1,500Mb's of pc100\133 sdram memory.click here

The manual shows that you have 3 memory slots
click here
These are marked as dimm1, dimm2 and dimm3. You will have to check what is installed into these dimm sockets. From this information a memory upgrade can be recommended.

Also you want a larger hard drive, is this for just for storage or do you want to replace your hard drive?

Quiller. 23:32 03 Jul 04

Sorry click here's not working.

try click here

and click here

fingers crossed. :-(

spuds 23:36 03 Jul 04

For more information on how to do the job, have a look at these two sites click here click here

Quiller. 23:40 03 Jul 04

Good sites spuds worth book marking.

Hetti 20:11 04 Jul 04

Thanks guys

When I click on Crucial i'm asked for system model. my PC profile say's Via Technologies,Inc VT8363, Via is there but my model is not.

Also looking at the PC profile it gives me for Main circuit board ..... 8363-686A(KT7,KT7A,KT7RAID,KT7A-RAID) how do I know which is my particular one?

bsod...I'm not sure that I need more hard drive It was a thought as I'm have problems when I try to open two web pages at the same time, but I think that will be more to do with memory..... correct?

VoG II 20:16 04 Jul 04

What problems when you try to open two web pages?

rickf 20:25 04 Jul 04

Assuming you are using 98se, a 3 yr. old pc should esily take another 256 taking it to the limit of 512 that 98se can handle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…