why cant I log on to PCadvisor from IE on windows xp laptop?

laptopdunce 19:06 PM 16 Aug 12

I can log on to pcadvisor.co.uk from my vista laptop using IE browser (takes time loading but does get there) but on my XP latop I get the home page of PCadvisor then when trying to log on to the site it brings up a page with a top ad. banner but wont load the page properly, any ideas?? I loaded google chrome browser on that CP laptop and I can get into PCadvisor with a google chrome browser but not on IE, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 PM 16 Aug 12

Have you updated from IE6 to IE8? since you reset the laptop?

laptopdunce 20:33 PM 16 Aug 12

Im not sure, how do I check what IE I am running? if I download IE 8 will it overwrite the current IE I am running? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 20:51 PM 16 Aug 12

Open IE and click Help menu - select About Internet Explorer and it will tell you the version

Sea Urchin 20:54 PM 16 Aug 12

Download and install IE8 from here - yes it will overwrite IE6 (or IE7)

IE8 download

laptopdunce 20:54 PM 16 Aug 12

I am trying to download IE8 right now on the XP laptop, from the Microsoft UK website, it came up that it detected that I have recently installed SP3 and that if I continue I wont be able to uninstall IE8, so I clicked OK and now it is saying "downloading" with a "speedo" type bar with the dots running on and on, its been like this for over 10 mins, is this normal?? should I just leave it?? it didnt take anywhere near this long to download google chrome?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 20:57 PM 16 Aug 12

It is quite a lengthy installation - stick with it.

laptopdunce 21:10 PM 16 Aug 12

It seems to have downloaded now and have restarted, will see what happens now...... LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 21:19 PM 16 Aug 12

HURRAH, HURRAH!!! Yes, its all downloaded and I am no on the PCadvisor site from the XP laptop with the IE8 downloaded!! thanks alot!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 21:21 PM 16 Aug 12

Glad to know all is now well

laptopdunce 23:41 PM 16 Aug 12

Hi, Sea Urchin, Yes, I think I will keep this XP laptop after all, the family member I was going to give it to has got a Apple computer (in debt on a credit card!!) so I will keep this one as it seems to be working just great now!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…