why cant I log on to PCadvisor from IE on windows xp laptop?

laptopdunce 19:06 PM 16 Aug 12
Answered

I can log on to pcadvisor.co.uk from my vista laptop using IE browser (takes time loading but does get there) but on my XP latop I get the home page of PCadvisor then when trying to log on to the site it brings up a page with a top ad. banner but wont load the page properly, any ideas?? I loaded google chrome browser on that CP laptop and I can get into PCadvisor with a google chrome browser but not on IE, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 PM 16 Aug 12

Have you updated from IE6 to IE8? since you reset the laptop?

laptopdunce 20:33 PM 16 Aug 12

Im not sure, how do I check what IE I am running? if I download IE 8 will it overwrite the current IE I am running? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 20:51 PM 16 Aug 12

Open IE and click Help menu - select About Internet Explorer and it will tell you the version

Sea Urchin 20:54 PM 16 Aug 12
Answer

Download and install IE8 from here - yes it will overwrite IE6 (or IE7)

IE8 download

laptopdunce 20:54 PM 16 Aug 12

I am trying to download IE8 right now on the XP laptop, from the Microsoft UK website, it came up that it detected that I have recently installed SP3 and that if I continue I wont be able to uninstall IE8, so I clicked OK and now it is saying "downloading" with a "speedo" type bar with the dots running on and on, its been like this for over 10 mins, is this normal?? should I just leave it?? it didnt take anywhere near this long to download google chrome?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 20:57 PM 16 Aug 12

It is quite a lengthy installation - stick with it.

laptopdunce 21:10 PM 16 Aug 12

It seems to have downloaded now and have restarted, will see what happens now...... LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 21:19 PM 16 Aug 12

HURRAH, HURRAH!!! Yes, its all downloaded and I am no on the PCadvisor site from the XP laptop with the IE8 downloaded!! thanks alot!!! LAPTOPDUNCE

Sea Urchin 21:21 PM 16 Aug 12

Glad to know all is now well

laptopdunce 23:41 PM 16 Aug 12

Hi, Sea Urchin, Yes, I think I will keep this XP laptop after all, the family member I was going to give it to has got a Apple computer (in debt on a credit card!!) so I will keep this one as it seems to be working just great now!! thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…