why can't i format my hard disk on win 7

weemacs 17:57 PM 26 Jan 12

I have upgraded my pc to win 7 ulimate 64 bit. It won't see the sound card or integral wireless card and I can find no drivers for them so I want to go back to xp but when I try to format booting from Win 7 format is greyed out. I can't boot from xp cd as it just won't do it. Help. Been at it for two days.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 PM 26 Jan 12

Win 7 will not let you format the drive it is installed on

Boot from the win 7 DVD to format the C: drive

weemacs 18:47 PM 26 Jan 12

How do i do that. I am booting from win 7 disk but just takes me into installing windows activated intall screen. It's not as if i can get into DOS or anything. Help, driving me crackers'

chub_tor 19:01 PM 26 Jan 12

Take a look at Step 6 on the sequence show here

weemacs 19:12 PM 26 Jan 12

thanks Chubtor. Done all that it doesn't work. Just sits there.

northumbria61 19:54 PM 26 Jan 12

Go to your BIOS & change the boot priority to CD/DVD drive first! Boot form the Windows 7 Cd & then try to format!

KRONOS the First 19:56 PM 26 Jan 12

My apologies if this question is insulting, you are booting from the Windows DVD and not trying to format after the PC has booted to The desktop? You have gone into the BIOS and changed the boot order to CD ROM first?

Is this any help? Win 7 to XP.

Strawballs 12:10 PM 27 Jan 12

It seems a shame that you feel the need to go back to XP after spending out all that money on the Ultimate version why not see if anybody here can help post the make and model of your sound and wireless cards.

weemacs 18:29 PM 27 Jan 12

Ok have moved on from going back no luck with Creatix but I have found a driver Wlan802.11 b/g SiS163u that will get my wireless card going. Only problem is that where my belkin dongle gets full bars in strength the on board one get only two and if I take the dongle out it cannot find the network at all. I bought driver download and it cannot find any drivers for the hardware above XP. Anyone got any more idea. I know it can be hard wired but I would really like to work wirelessly as it is not mine and would like to hand it back the way it was. The pc is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P320 Model number P5gd1-fm. Ta

lotvic 19:44 PM 27 Jan 12

Use the W7 Upgrade advisor tool from microsoft

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites