Why ask for boot up disc?????

misters 18:38 18 Dec 03

Hi a friend puuled out there old pc after storage for 6 months, and when they went to boot up there puter they got a black screen then a message saying please boot from disc.
They cant understand this because the pc was working ok before they stored it.
It runs win/98.
Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

johnnyrocker 18:40 18 Dec 03

suspect battery or similar. click here might help you.

johnny.

Djohn 18:42 18 Dec 03

It may be the hard drive sticking after not being used for so long. If you look at the underneath of the drive you will see, [On most] a circular disk about the size of a 10 piece. Give this a turn with the flat of your finger and it should release it. j.

roy 19:13 18 Dec 03

I have just had this exact same problem after a rebuild of a Win98 pc. It was cured by checking the flat ribbon connection to the hdd and pushing it a bit further in. Incidentally I could boot from the hard drive after inserting the system disk. The ide control in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager had an exclamation on it and was reported as not there (or words to that effect). Anyway, check the connectors at both ends of the cable.

roy 19:15 18 Dec 03

sorry: exclamation mark!

misters 21:27 18 Dec 03

cheers guys i'll let them know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…