Why are Word documents so large?

TechMad 12:35 28 Jul 03

This morning I prepared a document to email to a friend. The document totaled 14.9MB, because of some pictures. On a 56K modem this would take ice ages to send. So I looked at ways to make the document smaller. I created a table structure in Frontpage Express with all the original formatting and added the photos. The resulting HTML page and pictures totalled 65.5KB.

Where does the waste (the difference in file size between the old and new documents) come from?

AndyDy 12:49 28 Jul 03

Well Microsoft like putting lots of information in their latest formats that's not really needed but it helps other Microsoft applications process the same data. I also think Word includes images at full size (maybe even uncompressed) despite what size you have formatted them to in the document.
Of course the basic word formatting information is very substantial if you've done anything other than plain text. Try saving an empty document and see what size that is. You can see why people use PDF so much on the web. It is a lot worse if you have 'allow fast saves' enabled as this adds several versions of the same information in the file, also watch out for 'Track changes'. So you may get significant savings by altering your options.

Jester2K II 14:20 28 Jul 03

How big where these photos? What was the total size?

To take a 14Mb Word Document and convert it to a 65.5kb HTML Document i can't feel you have left the photos out of the HTML doc!!!!

I've just made an 11Mb word file with photos in it. Convert it to a HTML file and its only 50kb BUT there is also an 11Mb folder containing the photos!!!) I feel your recipient will not get the pictures unless you sent this foldertoo!!!

Jester2K II 14:25 28 Jul 03

To clarify that.

Word Documents CONTAIN the pictures hence the size of the file.

HTML documents don't contain the pictures but instead refer to copies of the pictures held in a folder which has the same name as the HTML document. In order for your recipient to see the pictures in the HTML document they need that folder too.

jz 21:00 28 Jul 03

Don't copy and paste pictures from your photo editing program into Words - this puts them in as an uncompressed picture, resulting in a huge Word file.

Instead, in you Photo Editing program, re-size them to something appropriate then save them as a JPEG file. Read the JPEG file into Word with Insert > Picture > From File... Never use Copy and Paste for this.

Doing this ensures that the Word file increases in size roughly by the size of the JPEG file.

Jester2K II 07:38 29 Jul 03

"Don't copy and paste pictures from your photo editing program into Words - this puts them in as an uncompressed picture, resulting in a huge Word file.
Instead, in you Photo Editing program, re-size them to something appropriate then save them as a JPEG file. Read the JPEG file into Word with Insert > Picture > From File... Never use Copy and Paste for this"

Copy and Paste only puts them into Word docs as uncompressed pics if they are uncompressed in the first place. Word has no compression routines for pictures.

Just tested this - it makes no difference which way you do it (Copy and Paste or Insert > Picture > From File...) the file size is EXACTLY the same.

However jz is correct in saying that you should make sure they are in a compressed format (ie JPEG) first.

TechMad 10:03 29 Jul 03

When I said 65.5KB, it includes the text as formatted in the word document plus the six pictures as jpg's.

TechMad 10:04 29 Jul 03

It seems that Frontpage Express does something to the pictures.

Jester2K II 10:07 29 Jul 03

Is that when you right click the HTML file?

Is there also a folder now with the same name as the HTML file?

If so then yes, when you open the HTML file you will see the pictures inside the file but they are being drawn from the folder with the same name. They are not stored INSIDE the HTML file like the pics in a Word file!

How big are the pictures on their own? This is important because an HTML file cannot compress 14mb of pictures to 65kb. JPGs are already massively compressed.

Did your recipient receive the pictures ok in the HTML format.

I'm not questioning what you did i'm just not very clear on how a 14 mb Word doc became a 65kb
HTML file.

Jester2K II 10:17 29 Jul 03

"It seems that Frontpage Express does something to the pictures."

Yes - it doesn't include them in the HTML file! It just links to them on your PCs hard drive. When you open the document it looks ok because the pictures are on your hard drive and the links work. On another persons PC it won't work because the pictures aren't on their PCs Hard Drive!! The HTML file is small because it contains no pictures - just links to them on your Hard Drive.

Did you friend get the pics or an empty file???

TechMad 10:26 29 Jul 03

The friend got both. I sent 7 files and they all arrived totalling 65.5KB. The biggest picture didn't seem to have any quality loss but weighed 11.6KB.

I lauched this thread to try to identify how a 14MB word file can be reduced to 65.5KB worth of webpage conent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…