Why is AGV so slow 15 minutes+

grumphy 16:59 04 Jul 05

Why is AGV slower than Spybot and others?

961 17:04 04 Jul 05

AVG is a virus scanner. Spybot is a trojan/home page hijacker scanner. They do different things. Depending on the size of your files it may well take your virus scanner that sort of time to conduct an in depth examination of your system.
Do it while you are not using the computer and all will be fine

rawprawn 17:18 04 Jul 05

Mine takes about 30 minutes to deep scan 3 drives (160 gb in total, using about 26gb)

pj123 17:51 04 Jul 05

Mine also takes about 25 to 30 minutes to scan my drives. But as it works in the background all the time there is no reason to do a manual scan.

rawprawn 17:57 04 Jul 05

I do find it slows my computer significantly when it is scanning, in fact if I want to do something I pause the scan. I find this a bind!

Diemmess 18:27 04 Jul 05

AVG or almost any protection software can be configured to scan only the most vulnerable folders and save quite a lot of time.... the downside of that is obvious - what if there is something in those unscanned folders?

Even so there are fairly unlikely foders which can be excluded, but something like AVG can be configured to do a full scan at some time when you aren't using the box, just put the post likely time in and of course make sure the computer is on at that hour!

I overheard a techie in a shop today explaining to a customer just how much a slow start and slower close-down of her computer was due to Norton's protection software.

wee eddie 18:29 04 Jul 05

Why sit around waiting for it to run it's course. Just run it while you are doing something else - like lunch.

TTP 18:45 04 Jul 05

It is free after all. It does a good job overall. It will consume some ram/cpu resources as with any software - hell i've even tried running it on a seperate cpu (hyperthreaded) by selecting 'affinity' in task.manager - but that didnt improve the speed a great deal. Anyway I kinda feel slightly more safe knowing its doing a deep scan thoroughly and taking its time !

grumphy 08:23 05 Jul 05

Sorry I got a call out but thanks for all the reply's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…