Why is this

geewis357 21:57 29 Dec 04

Dear sirs,
I have been quite keen in all aspects of modern day computing, in fact I am at present in my foundation year at uni (mature student). Nowing the diferance between fat16 to fat32 and moving on to NTFS and all its benefits of NTFS permisions when networking, my question is after taking delivery of a brand new ACER travel mate 2701 LC care of my local LEA only to discover the 2 partitions are curently useing FAT32. I know its not a difficult to convert to NTFS and all the software is XP compatable, anybody any Idears why this is so

woodchip 22:12 29 Dec 04

It’s more Home Person user Friendly. i.e as you now NTFS can see Fat32 but Fat32 cannot see NTFS. There are benefits in both camps. Games are more likely to run on Fat32.
My two new Medion Comps Desktop and Lap Are C:\ is NTFS D and F are Fat32

geewis357 22:21 29 Dec 04

That gives me some idea, but the software included is such as dragon 8 natural speech recognition and a teach touch typing and the liks of would all of these run on NTFS

geewis357 22:23 29 Dec 04

I should have told you my desk top is also a Medion PC all 3 partitions use NTFS, MEDION is ace

woodchip 22:26 29 Dec 04

I would think they will work on NTFS, it is a more secure file system but can suffer in that it eats drive space. That's what makes it more secure. As I said in my first post there are advantages and disadvantages. If you Have a Restore Disc and change the File system the restore disc may no longer work as it writes the Boot sector and alters the partition info

woodchip 22:29 29 Dec 04

Right as You have a Medion you also have a full XP home disc and recovery disc's one partition contains drivers etc and Restore Images. You should have 3 partitions, Restore images on E:\

geewis357 22:32 29 Dec 04

Thanks Woodchip,

Hard drive space may be a concern as after all the programs and OS have been installed my 40gig hdd free space is down to 17 gig, and that has to last 4 years at Uni. My desk top can help out a bit there I think.

VoG II 22:36 29 Dec 04

The software will run regardless of whether you have FAT32 or NTFS. These just determine how the information is stored on the HDD. I would suggest that this would be a good time to buy your tutor a pint and ask a few "easy questions".

geewis357 22:37 29 Dec 04

When I got the medion 2 1/2 years ago it was as you say, but several crashes later and not knowing what I know now I Have 3 partitions and I use what partitions for what I want rather than what they were originaly.

geewis357 22:40 29 Dec 04

Too true vog, as soon as I get back to hallam mid jan, thats why I'm asking hear and now, they won't give us there home e-mail addresses

woodchip 22:41 29 Dec 04

It's strange if you say you have a medion and they are all fat32. But in the first post it say's ACER travel mate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…