Who's to blame?

Tk_RiceZ 01:02 23 Dec 03

well my sister has aol 8.0 on 56k, for a good half a year now, her phone bill came this month and it came to £230+, but her maximum bill has always been under £100, apparently BT says she has been on adult chanels on the pc whilst online but she dnt no hw to go 2 dem and dey take credit cards right?

What can we do now. it appears that the number starts with 0909.....

has AOL been dialing numbers without her realising or BT upto a trick?

has picked up a dialler that changes the ISP number. Basically she hasnt been surfing with AOL.

Use spybot click here and see if that clear's it.

hugh-265156 01:16 23 Dec 03

you may have a dialer which unknown to you can redirect your computer to a premuim number without your knowledge.

unfortunatly you will be responsable for payment of this bill.

download spybot search and destroy,update it and run it.remove everything it finds.

physicaly disconnect the computer from the phone line once you download spybot.

run it often to keep your system clean and its a good idea to maybe ask BT to put a block on premium rate and international numbers for your line.

hugh-265156 01:18 23 Dec 03

i forgot to put the link to spybot,pilch was on the ball.

Sethhaniel 10:40 23 Dec 03

phone BT and get them to put a bar on all premium rate phone calls - then dialer cannot hijack your line

Pesala 10:58 23 Dec 03

You make like to check out the website of the Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services
click here

and click here

From the above link: Website - adult content

These types of call involve accessing an Internet website with adult content.

The user must accept the terms and conditions given on the site in order to proceed. The charge for accessing the site is incurred when the user downloads and installs a small piece of computer software (often called a 'dialler') which is encoded with a preset premium rate number.

Once activated, the dialler will override your usual standard rate Internet connection settings. This disconnects the computer from your usual Internet service provider and connects to the adult site using the embedded premium rate number to carry the call. More details on how all online services work can be found in our consumer leaflet on internet-based services.

ThePharcyde007 13:05 23 Dec 03

A freind of mine was caught out by this using downloading ring tones. Does not affect me as I use Broadband

mikef. 14:04 23 Dec 03

Also get her to download Spyware Blaster click here which will stop them being installed, and keep it up to date as there are new ones comming all the time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…